Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Check Engine Light come on

Thread: Check Engine Light come on

250cruiser!

Default Check Engine Light come on

Hi there

I am the very proud new owner of a 1997 Subaru Legacy Grand Wagon (aka Outback/Lancaster) "250 Cruiser".

I am extremely happy with it, I have been a subaru dreamer for over 10 years and now I can afford it have finally brought one (am 18yo).

I got this one really cheaply, and its in really good nick.
    The guy I bought it off spent about $5,000 fixing it (head gasket, all cv joints, all belts etc etc).

I have a few small problems with it tho.

1) The check engine light seems to pop on every couple of days, but seems to drop off when you go below 80km/h.

Why would this be?

2) while idling or stopped at the lights the revs seems to jump around from around 400rpm to about 800rpm. almost stalling.

Thanks for looking, and any help would be very much apprecated!
    Last edited by 250cruiser!; 06-16-2009 at 06:13 AM.

Hey there, not sure about the check engine light, you would have to pull the code and see what it is before going any farther. The rpms fluctuating is most likley cause by your idle air control valve, it could be sticking or malfunctioning. It is possible that your check engine light is the same problem too but like I said need to get the code out of memory and go from there.

250cruiser!

Hi. thank you very much for the response! That could be the case, how do I get these codes for the "check engine light"? I bought the car with a faulty air flow meter and replaced it with a second hand one. Do you think this could have anything to do with it? Thanks in advance

Yes an air flow sensor could also cause the idle to fluctuate. One thing you might try is to get a can of carb cleaner and spray off your air flow sensor and make sure it is clean. A dirty sensor can cause lots of problems. You can get the codes from any OBDII code reader, you can pick them up online or from your local parts store for less than fifty bucks. Some parts stores will even check your codes for you for free. See what you can do about getting the codes and let me know, I may be able to help. Good luck.

250cruiser!

Thanks for that. I havent done anything serious yet, but have done more research and believe the "check engine light" is probably coming on for a faulty catalatic converter (which I dont think is any thing serious to worry about?? as in my country we have no laws for polution). I think this as it doesn't sound like a normal ej25 (i have driven quite a few) and mine sounds more coarser/gruntyer but does smell more fumey on start up and when you walk behind it (sounds quite weird fro behind). Tomorrow I have organised with the local Sunaru dealer to test what the problem is with the "check wngine light" just to be on the safe side!

One quick thing though, for the third time when driving an 100kmish the revs seem to get "sucked down" (even if you accelerate gently they still drop). I just get around this by accelerating harder (normally going into third - auto tranny). Does this sound like dirty afm? the car is normally cold and only been on for up to 3 minutes (and low on fuel)!

Thanks again. it is very uch appreciated!

asholo

car DVD player online store

Sabaru Forester Car DVD Player Navigation system Car DVD Player+ 7 Inch Digital touchscreen+Dual Zone+Built in GPS DVB-T

•High Quality: Made by a very famous manufacturer in China, extended warranty: 2 years!
    •7 Inch TFT high-definition Digital LCD Screen, 800*480 resolutions!(2,650,000 color), support 4:3, 16:9 and full screen display!
    •Specially Designed for Sabaru Forester. No gap with original dashboard after installation.
    •Convulsed timbre and enjoy all your journey
    •iPOD Ready, Steering wheel control, CDC port, TF Card slot for GPS and music files(support up to 16GB TF Card!).
    •Completely Dual Zone Playback, you can run the gps application while listening to Radio/CD/DVD/music in TF Card/USB device
    •Built-in Digital TV(Only with European Standard is available) is also optional, and it need 220usd to add this function. Please contact us if you are interested in DVB-T function. *Bluetooth function have be included

car DVD player online store

frcdsine

I accept with information:The rpms fluctuating is most likley cause by your idle air control valve, it could be sticking or malfunctioning. It is possible that your check engine light is the same problem too.

cancunphoto

You can try one thing and then if it doesnt work than your going to have to get someone to run diagnostics on it. Remove the negitive battery lead for about 30 seconds than replace it this should reset the computer that could be the prob then drive it and see what happens. IF it doesnt work your prob going to have to get someone to diagnose it and prob replace a sensor.