Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Electrical problems after a head gasket replacement

Thread: Electrical problems after a head gasket replacement

Noobinator

Unhappy Electrical problems after a head gasket replacement

Hi Folks,
    I'm a new'y to the Forum and I'm in trouble

I have a 2000 Legacy Outback, manual shift.

After a Head gasket replacement on 1&3 cylinders, I hear no fuel pump whine as the system pressurizes before engine "Start". The engine rotates on the starter but doesn't fire. The fuel tank level warning light is on and the level reading is zero but there are 5 gall's of gas in the tank. When I turn the ingnition off all of the dashboard warning lamps stay on, even when I remove the key. The only way to re-set them is to remove the negative terminal from the battery and replace it, then all of the warning lights return to normal.

I have checked for 12v throughout the Fuel Pump relay, the wiring back to the tank and the ground at the tank, which measured 6 ohms.

I know this points to the Pump and Sender, but these were fine before I started the gasket replacement!! And what about the dashboard Warning Lamps??

Can anyone help???

Found it!!! IT WAS A BAD CONNECTION ON THE EARTHING STRAP TO THE INLET MANIFOLD. The engine runs now that's fixed, but I have an exhaust blow. I think I've stripped a bolt.

(not so) Mystified.
    Last edited by brianwlovell; 06-09-2009 at 04:25 PM. Reason: Found problem!!

Thanks for posting the solution! That will help somebody here in the future.
    Retired USN
    94 Subaru Legacy L (RIP); 09 Subaru Forester; 98 Ford Contour GL+; 97 Dodge Ram 1500

Thats cool you figured it out, I know from experiance that those grounds can make a car do some really funny things and drive a person crazy trying to figure it out. Good job and good catch, thanks for the info.