PDA

View Full Version : Just got 1995 Legacy 208k miles have some questions

The boyfriend
05-29-2009, 11:51 AM
Is it standard to change transmission fluid?

Any ideas on an intermittent airbag light?

Also i was under the car and noticed the drivers side inner tie-rod boot was badly torn. Im hoping to patch it with some epdm, any ideas on what grease to use?

thanks!

Scorpion8
05-29-2009, 07:12 PM
Is it standard to change transmission fluid?

Any ideas on an intermittent airbag light?

Also i was under the car and noticed the drivers side inner tie-rod boot was badly torn. Im hoping to patch it with some epdm, any ideas on what grease to use?

thanks!

ATX? Yes, the tranny fluid in an ATX should be changed (drain & flush) at regular intervals, especially as the car gets older. I don't have access to my service intervals right now and on an ATX you can't drain the whole tranny w/o removing it since the torque converter will retain a significant portion of the fluid, but you normally drain the tranny, refill w/say 4 quarts (until full-mark is reached) run it for 500 miles or so and then repeat a total of 3 times and by then you've changed over 95% of the fluid capacity in small batches. You may (should) notice improved shifting if the tranny fluid is still original after that many miles.

Intermittent airbag light? Could be a ground somewhere, especially if it's the clock spring in the steering wheel. How intermittent is it: do you have to be turning the wheel, or will it come on just sitting at idle? Any other steering column functions have stopped working such as horn or cruise?