PDA

View Full Version : My wife backed into a car and damaged it. Should I pay out of pocket to fix it or claim on my insurance?

Danimal
02-01-2008, 01:51 PM
She has a Ford Expedition and backed into a Subaru wagon. It was dark and they guy was right behind her in the blind spot. It damaged the hood, and left park and head lights. His collision center estimates $1910 plus $150 for a rental car. I am wondering if it is better to pay out of pocket or claim it. Our deductible is $1000.I have heard several times that there is no deductible in this case. Deductible is only on damage to your own car. Is this true?

jenk1972
02-01-2008, 07:29 PM
While it might be easier to pay out of pocket, if this guy later decides to say he was hurt in the incident, you will need your insurance company behind you. If you don't file with your insurance and this guy claimw whiplash or whatever, he will come right after you guys. not your insurance company. think about it.

fire4511
02-02-2008, 01:08 AM
Your deductible is only a factor on damage to your car. If you put the claim in, you can expect to see your rated go up for three or more years. Depending on your claims history, and driving records, they could also consider canceling your policy. If it was me and I could afford it, I would pay out of pocket. If you do so, be sure to get a signed release from the owner of the car, and the driver, if different, to protect you from future claims!

oklatom6816
02-02-2008, 06:46 AM
Up to you. If you do it out of pocket, you are out $2060. Be sure you get a receipt showing you paid in full for any and all damages.If insurance handles it, you are out $1000 and they take care of all paper work,

roady42
02-02-2008, 12:24 PM
Uncle tom is wrong, you don't pay deductableon somebodys car you hit, that comes under your liability and they just pay his repair bill plus rental, unless the other guy claims medical and such.