PDA

View Full Version : 1994 Impreza NOT STARTING ej18

dont_touch
05-13-2009, 07:38 AM
My Impreza just died when I went to drive it. I had been driving a few hours earlier, no problems at all. Went to go out few hours later; and it just wouldnt start.

--

I recently changed the Crank Angle Sensor, still not working although making a different sound when trying to start.
--

I have tried pulling the in-line off the fuel filter, it has filled up 1 and 1/2 drink bottles, still dribbling (I do have half a tank of gas) . This means it's not the fuel filter???

--
Checked for spark. To me there is spark (little sparks)

--

Cambelt is not broken.

--

My friend told me to replace this black square thing he called a Timing Regulator or something

http://img13.imageshack.us/img13/6613/timingregulatorg.jpg

--

I have used injector cleaner a few weeks before all this happened

Any help appreciated!

TheYellowScoobyDoo
05-24-2009, 04:15 PM
I had similar problems with my Impreza Ej18 recently i havnt resolved the problem fully yet but i'm getting close to it, where are you located i would be happy to help check some things if i get mine back on road

dont_touch
05-25-2009, 03:14 AM
Yes it just dribbled when I took the in-line off the filter and turned the key. Although it seemed constant.....??

I used an old spark plug and plugged it in each plug and grounded it to the chassis and turned the key. all four spark.

Hi, i live in New Zealand. thanks anyway :) What was your problem?

How do I check if I am getting power to my Fuel Pump?

TheYellowScoobyDoo
05-25-2009, 01:29 PM
You should be able to hear the fuel pump prime when you turn the ignition on, i used to think the fuel pump was controlled but i now know that it is either on or off.

If you remove carpet in boot have an inspection hatch to the tank, if you listen to the hatch you should hear a winding noise when the pump primes when you turn the ignition.

Something i recommend trying is remove the inspection hatch open fuel tank, remove pump and sender unit, assuming they are all original and a single piece unit, this will allow you to check the condition of the filter inside the tank, if this is blocked or heavily soiled it may be causing the problem, if it's not causing it, it certainly won't help matters.

It may be worth clening the fuel pump, i always recommend cleaning all parts where possible, it can only make things better.

You could also test voltage in the electric's to the fuel pump when you have disconnected the unit. If you don't know what volatge you should be getting let me know and i'll find out if it's ok.

Hope this helps.

dont_touch
05-26-2009, 12:31 AM
I have tried listening for the fuel pump when turning the key to "On" but not to "start" and I can't hear any sound coming from the fuel pump, but i do hear a very quiet "did,did" sound.

So in my opinion I think it is either the Relay for the pump or the pump itself, I am leaning more towards the Relay tho. Because my car just died without warning when I went to start it.

Is it a simple fix? I know where the relay is and it is very hard to get to.

Can I take the lid of the fuel tank to get to the fuel pump, even tho I have half a tank of gas, is it safe?

EDIT: have checked for power at the connector in the rear, theres around 4-8Volts. So it's not the relay then :(

TheYellowScoobyDoo
05-26-2009, 05:43 PM
Hello again,

i am not too sure about the fuel relay buy removing the fuel pump and opening the tank should be easy and not dangerous provided sources of ignition are kept away from the fuel.

pqrs939
07-18-2009, 09:13 PM
T-Shirts wholesale AFF T-shirt ( www.cnshoes007.com (http://www.cnshoes007.com) ) wholesale ARMANI T-shirt www.cnshoes007.com (http://www.cnshoes007.com) wholesale BAPE T-shirt ( www.cnshoes007.com (http://www.cnshoes007.com) ) wholesale BBC T-shirt www.cnshoes007.com (http://www.cnshoes007.com) wholesale BOSS T-shirt www.cnshoes007.com (http://www.cnshoes007.com) wholesale Burberry T-shirt ( www.cnshoes007.com ) wholesale CA T-shirt men's www.cnshoes007.com wholesale CA T-shirt women's ( www.cnshoes007.com ) wholesale COOGI T-shirt ( www.cnshoes007.com ) wholesale CRYSTAL ROCK women's ( www.cnshoes007.com ) wholesale D&G T-shirt www.cnshoes007.com wholesale DIESEL T-shirt ( www.cnshoes007.com ) wholesale DSQUARED T-shirt men's ( www.cnshoes007.com ) wholesale DSQUARED T-shirt women's ( www.cnshoes007.com ) wholesale Eck? Unltd T-shirt ( www.cnshoes007.com ) wholesale ED T-shirt men's wholesale ED T-shirt women's www.cnshoes007.com wholesale EVISU T-shirt ( www.cnshoes007.com ) wholesale GGG T-shirt ( www.cnshoes007.com ) wholesale G-STAR T-shirt ( www.cnshoes007.com ) wholesale HLST T-Shirt www.cnshoes007.com wholesale Lacoste T-shirt ( www.cnshoes007.com ) wholesale Lacoste T-shirt women's ( www.cnshoes007.com ) wholesale LRG T-shirt ( www.cnshoes007.com ) wholesale O&L T-shirt www.cnshoes007.com wholesale POLO 3 T-shirt ( www.cnshoes007.com ) wholesale 4 T-shirt ( www.cnshoes007.com ) wholesale POLO 5 T-shirt www.cnshoes007.com wholesale POLO T-shirt men's ( www.cnshoes007.com ) POLO T-shirt women's ( www.cnshoes007.com ) Prada T-shirt ( www.cnshoes007.com ) RUEHL T-Shirt www.cnshoes007.com SMET T-Shirt men's ( www.cnshoes007.com ) SMET T-Shirt women's www.cnshoes007.com VERSACE T-shirt ( www.cnshoes007.com ) A&F Abercrombie & Fitch T-shirt men's ( www.cnshoes007.com ) A&F Abercrombie & Fitch T-shirt women's ( www.cnshoes007.com ) wholesale Lacoste polo t shirt ( www.cnshoes007.com ) wholesale Lacoste t shirt solid color ( www.cnshoes007.com ) wholesale Lacoste sweater ( www.cnshoes007.com ) wholesale Lacoste shirt ( www.cnshoes007.com ) wholesale Lacoste ( www.cnshoes007.com ) wholesale Ralph lauren ( www.cnshoes007.com ) wholesale Ralph Lauren polo ( www.cnshoes007.com ) wholesale Polo ( www.cnshoes007.com ) wholesale Ralph lauren polo t shirt( www.cnshoes007.com ) wholesale Ralph lauren t shirt ( www.cnshoes007.com ) wholesale Abercrombie & fitch shirt ( www.cnshoes007.com ) wholesale Burberry shirt ( www.cnshoes007.com ) wholesale Burberry t shirt ( www.cnshoes007.com ) wholesale NBA sports jersey ( www.cnshoes007.com )

Imprezadude93
09-19-2009, 01:11 PM
Had like same prob with my 1.8 try iac (idle air control) valve then mass air flow on intake and check relays try gently tapping on them works sometimes.

Strut Mcphearson
11-19-2009, 09:20 PM
Try banging on the fuel pump with the cover off while cranking the engine. the brushes in your pump are probably worn out. this works most of the time in this case. if it starts you need a pump.
Strut

Strut Mcphearson
11-19-2009, 09:22 PM
Also that part you circled in the photo is called the igniter and if you have spark its working hope this helps
Strut:)

ericams
12-01-2009, 12:40 AM
Just throwing this out there you need to check the basics, you covered the spark , the fuel still questionable(need to check fuel pressure), and you need to check compression. the compression gauge can be picked up at any auto store for about 20 bucks US. The compression test will tell if you have jumped time. Since you just ran fuel injector cleaner through the engine chances are you unstuck to much at once and clogged the fuel injectors. have the fuel injectors cleaned proffesionally or replace. If for some chance you can not find injectors give us a call. How is the weather down there. I have some friends we do Harley business for in Canberra.

thanks