PDA

View Full Version : Advice on buying a 2000 Legacy GT wagon

Ben
04-27-2009, 07:05 PM
Hi there,

I'm new and was hoping for some advice deciding on a 2000 gt wagon in my area.
$9000(can), 152,000kms(94,448miles), double sunroof, winter driving package(heated seats, wipers, and mirrors), all service records. two owners: current owner is a mechanic at a subaru dealer and has owned it for the last four months. i haven't had it inspected myself but have been told there are no engine problems.
if anyone has any advice on what to look for that'd be super. Any problems with this year?

thanks a bunch,

Ben
'85 Loyale, '91 Legacy(current car)

rutech
04-28-2009, 08:49 PM
I would check to make sure the headgaskets are not leaking coolant and get any repair info you can on it to see if they have been done yet. Since a subaru tech is selling it I would guess it is pretty good working order. The headgaskets are the only thing that it might need at this point. Good luck. It is a non turbo car right??

Scorpion8
04-29-2009, 12:08 AM
Current owner is a mechanic and is selling it after only four months? There's a warning indicator right off unless you know the guy. I'd talk him up and see how honest he'll be: if you ask "what's wrong with the car?" and he says "nothing" then run away because every car has some thing wrong with it somewhere. Why's he pulling out after only four months?

Also, ATX or MTX? The MTX had an issue with the tranny popping out of reverse while backing.