PDA

View Full Version : looking for a soft-ish SUV, any rec's? split between LR.Disco,free'r,RAV4,CRV,Subaru etc,?

PETERW
02-14-2008, 06:59 AM
so what is the best all-rounder out there in UK that we should consider, cost wise keep it mid level, ideally <£30K reliable cheap to run and maintain etc...so all the help you can provide would be appreciated, first hand accounts and gripes please etc.Ta very much

DougyFresh
02-14-2008, 10:21 PM
Chevy Tahoe? Ford Expedition? Cadillac Escalade? Lincoln Navigator? Mazda MX?

Neo
02-15-2008, 01:42 PM
I personally like Subaru as far as SUV goes. Easy to maintain, very streetable and of course, off road worthy if need be.

UCANTCME9215
02-16-2008, 05:04 AM
Either the Honda or the Toyota would be a good choice.

gray
02-16-2008, 08:26 PM
Any of the Japanese options would be good, the Nissan X-Trail being top of its class. If you want quality buy German and if you take my advice stay well away from anything Land Rover, the build quality is shocking the only reason they sell anything is brand snobbery.

Britbloke
02-17-2008, 11:47 AM
Well, you wanted first hand experience, so I'll give it.Land Rover's reputation was pretty bad with the Discovery, until they came out with the Discovery 3. I read Top Gear's review, which basically says Land Rover completely raised the bar in 4x4's with this car, and they are right (I suggest you read the review - they don't give many like it!).So I bought one. And it is truly astonishing. There is nothing the car won't do - all in total comfort. Wait until you've played with the air suspension as well, it's seriously cool!That said, I'm afraid £30K certainly won't get a reasonably spec'd new one - you could be looking at a couple of years old.But if you are attracted to the likes of a RAV4, do bear in mind that the two cars are not even vaguely in the same ball park - the RAV4 is a fun car, the Disco is a serious machine.Good luck :-)EDIT: Here's the link to Top Gear's review - "Not so much the ultimate SUV, more the ultimate car - full stop". Love it!http://www.topgear.com/drives/C3/AA/