PDA

View Full Version : Howling noise coming from central point of car.

new2subaru
04-13-2009, 07:38 PM
I have a 2007 2.5 5-door impreza and I have noticed that from the central point of my car there is a higher pitched howling noise that is apparent only when I have my foot on the accelerator. The noise is present between 60-120km/h. This makes for a very noisy ride. If you have any suggestions regarding this issue please let me know. I have been going to the dealership although they are too busy and it's been over two months since they have shared anything with me. I am still under warranty and need some suggestions.

rutech
04-13-2009, 08:54 PM
Sounds like it could be the front diff making the noise. If it is still under warranty then you need to go to the dealer and tell them you need someone to go for a ride with you so you can duplicate the noise for them. It is BS that they are too busy for you and if they won't help you, go to another dealer.

xJacK3dxUPx
04-15-2009, 06:51 PM
Is it when you press the pedal down to the floor when accelerating?

subduff
03-06-2011, 11:56 AM
Hi. I have a 2010 impreza sport 2.5 non turbo auto trans. it has been making a howling noise since almost new.car now has 16,000 km. noise seems to be coming from centre of car and is most pronounced between 60 & 80 kph under light acceleration or decceleration and loudest with no load on drivetrain either way. my dealer has put ears (microphones) on the car and driven it and has concluded that the noise is coming from the front diff. the dealer has ordered a new transmission (probably rebuilt, but apparently that is ok) to be installed under warranty sometime in the next couple of weeks. the diff is part of the transmission and the dealer says they will not disassememble it. other sources have told me that the noise could be coming from a failing transmission oil pump which would explain the slightly erratic shifting. either way the transmission needs to be replaced. get on the dealers case while you still have warranty!