PDA

View Full Version : new Outback coming soon?

jeepsux
03-08-2009, 03:25 PM
I've seen news of the Legacy Concept hitting the auto shows this winter. The April issue of Consumer Reports seems to lump the Legacy and Outback together and they say that a new Legacy is coming this summer. Does that mean that the Outback will be redesigned at that time, too? I thought that Legacy and Outback were no longer the same product line, but that split doesn't seem to be observed universally (this forum has no Outback category, for example).

My present (non-Subaru) lease expires in May and I'm leaning toward a new Outback. Do I become one of the last buyers of the present design or hold out for a couple of months and get a shot at a new design? Do any of you have any info on an impending Outback redesign?

Scorpion8
03-08-2009, 10:32 PM
I just bought the wife a brand new 2009 Forester yesterday, and while we were waiting I prowled around the Legacy's. Sure are sweet. If I was in the market right now I'd be hard pressed not to grab a current-Legacy. Sure are nicer than her old 94 Legacy L. I don't think you could go wrong with one if you like them.

jeepsux
03-09-2009, 05:54 PM
Thanks for agreeing with my wife. She keeps telling me basically the same thing. I'm about to part with my third Jeep product (I know, I'm a slow learner). The wife is on her second Subaru ('98 Impreza, '06 Forester) and she's been pretty happy with them. We have a badly sloping driveway and live in an area that gets a fair amount of snow and ice in the winter. She's had more success getting up our slippery driveway in her AWD Subies with stock tires than I have in my 4WD Jeeps (thus, my screen name). In warmer weather we carry our sea kayaks on the roof racks. To reach the tie-down straps on the Jeep I need to carry a step ladder. No such problem on the '06 Forester. It might not be as easy on the newer, taller '09 model. That's what's keeping me from a new Forester. The '09 Outback is even shorter than the older Forester, so I'm looking forward to that.

Wow, I can't wait! Leave the ladder at home, get better traction, and 9 more MPG, to boot.

Scorpion8
03-09-2009, 10:41 PM
The Outbacks (to me, IMHO) are like a wagon-Legacy. If you had to drive a wagon, and wanted it to be more manly than a Taurus wagon or some familified things, I'd go with an Outback. It screams "rugged outdoorsy".

jeepsux
03-13-2009, 04:39 PM
I saw the post from fishingltj, showing more info on the 2010 Legacy about to be shown at the NY Auto Show next month. It seems to confirm that the next generation will be larger than the 2009 models, and that the change affects both Legacy and Outback. There's a comment to that posting from BoneHeadOtto who commented " . . . The car also looks way too tall. Why does everyone make their cars so darn tall now? . . ." My thoughts exactly. Check my avatar. Who in their right mind would be looking to lift a 17 foot kayak onto a TALLER roof? Granted, not everyone uses their Outback to chauffeur sea kayaks, but Subaru does put roof racks on Outbacks. Surely they expect people to lift something onto them, don't they?

Scorpion8
03-13-2009, 09:55 PM
Notice it's always a kayak or mountain bikes? You're supposed to dream that outdoorsy dream. The ads never show you hauling 10 packages of disposable diapers bungeed down on top, or anything that people really carry.