PDA

View Full Version : ej253 to ej251 swap..

jeng22
02-20-2009, 02:04 AM
just recently replaced engine off of my 01 outback(had a rod knock but was still running), put a used engine off of 03 impreza, have everything back together and now won't start, did compression and it's all good at 175psi in all four cylinders, it does have spark and getting fuel but won't fire up, i used the original intake manifold and harness along with all the sensors, i have disconnect and recconect wiring harnesses to no avail, timing marks are all lined up, anyone have any idea why?any help and suggestions is greatly appreciated, thanks

guydakine
02-25-2009, 02:50 PM
Jeng,
So far I don't think there is a difference, check out this other Subaru forum and get in touch with some of these guys. For now start with coil and the obvious electrical troubleshooting steps. Did you use the harness on the new engine or off your old one? You may want to try that swap too.. Good luck..
http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=65075&highlight=ej253+ej251

jeng22
02-26-2009, 01:49 AM
thanks, finally figured it out, new engine came off of an automatic impreza, problem was with the crank gear, auto has a different crank gear than manual, installed the crank gear from my original engine and fired right up...