PDA

View Full Version : 1988 Gl u joint problem?

GL4WD
02-19-2009, 09:05 PM
i have a 88 Gl that has a bad u joint. i have been told i have to replace the whole drive shaft but i have also been told that i can juts replace it like you do on any other car. please help if you know the anwser.

Scorpion8
02-19-2009, 11:57 PM
It depends on what part of the u-joint is bad. If just the needle bearings have lost lubrication and ground up, then yes you can usually press out a u-joint and press in a new one. If the yokes have worn to the point that a new u-joint cap isn't held captive by the yoke anymore, then the shaft must be replaced.

Which u-joint is supposedly bad, because my service info shows CV joints on the front half-shafts, none on the rear axle, and only u-joints on the driveline?

GL4WD
02-20-2009, 01:04 AM
it is the first u joint on the drive line. Thank you for the info that is good news please tell me more info if you have anymore

Scorpion8
02-20-2009, 09:31 PM
Well the good news is it looks like a 30 minute job (depending on rusted bolts et al) to remove the driveline and take it to a shop. Or if you can do it yourself, getting the driveline off is about the hardest part. If you've ever drifted a u-joint out it's not hard unless (as always) things have gotten rusty and gnarly or you don't have the right tools. But I also don't see removeable yoke clips that would make it truly easy, and the shop manual shows them as press in-out joints.

Is there any yoke damage from hitting over a curb or rock or anything?