PDA

View Full Version : 07 Legacy Outback Wagon Windows Leak in Car Wash - Window Seal Issues

Sue Baroo
02-08-2009, 03:20 PM
I am very unhappy with the way the window seals are made in my 2007 Subaru Outback Wagon. Soon after buying the car, I took it back to the dealer to have one of the back doors adjusted. We were getting water in the car whenever we went through a car wash. This was very annoying. I could see that the glass didn't fit quite the same on all of the doors. The dealer adjusted the door (rear, passenger) and that problem was fixed. Now it is a bit more difficult to get that door to shut all the way when closing it. That's because the window presses up against the seal harder. It appears that it might cause too much wear and lead to premature failure. Also, we seem to hear air whistling through the seals (not sure which doors) when driving at highway speeds. Anybody else having similar issues? What are your thoughts?

jlucas
06-29-2009, 08:44 PM
I am having similar problems with my 2008 Legacy. I have been back 3 times now to have the seals on all four windows repaired. Each time, the repair is good for a couple of months, and then the seal starts detaching again.

rutech
06-30-2009, 11:46 PM
I know suabru window gussets will cause that whistling noise you described, usually you can fix that with a simple adjustment. Basically roll the window down, grab the gusset and pull in on it, and squeeze the gusset together too, that will usually take care of the wind noise. As for the seals detaching, I would try silicone lubricant, spray some on a rag and whipe the seals down really good with it and make sure the inside of the door that contacts the seal is clean, that should keep that from happening again. Also make sure the seals where put in correctly, they can be a real pain sometimes. Let me know if that helps at all, if not I may have a couple more ideas. Good luck and have a good day.

jlucas
07-02-2009, 02:28 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. My Subaru dealer has tried to fix the detached window seals three times now. No success. Each time they fall out within about 2 months. The car is only 10 months old. They are going to replace all of the faulty seals next week. Hopefully that will resolve the problem.

rutech
07-03-2009, 11:26 AM
I hope so too. That is not a real common problem with subarus. I am glad they are going to replace the seals, that will surely help the issue. Like I said too, make sure the inside of the door is clean when you get it back and that should take care of the issue. Good luck and keep us posted.

jlucas
07-21-2009, 02:02 PM
So my 2008 Legacy wagon has been in to my dealer 3 times now to fix the window seals which continue to fall out of the door frame. After 3 failed attempts at fixing the original seals they decided to replace them. While replacing the seals (visit no. 4 if you're keeping track) they broke the panel between the windows. They didn't have the part in stock, so I had to go back for visit number 5 to have the panel replaced. All this for a problem I was assured during visit number 1 was "a quick fix". It's been 1 week since the new seals were installed. Two of them are already falling out. My love affair with my Subaru has ended and I am starting to hate this car, and really hate my Subaru mechanic.

rutech
07-22-2009, 09:42 PM
That really sucks man, I would hate the mechanic, not the car. I have seen several of the window seals like you said, I have fixed several and never had one come back. They are a pain in the butt to do, and hard to get in right. Once you do they will stay in. Sorry you are having suck a bad time. Don't know where the next dealer is but I would try that.