PDA

View Full Version : 95 Legacy either stutters/sputters or drives fine: what gives?

REALGRAVEROBBER
02-05-2009, 01:17 AM
My 245,000 1995 Legacy Brighton seems lately does one of two extremes:

1.) stutters/sputters (no backfiring) and drives like it's only firing on 2 cylinders or so, and also surges/jerks as if the ignition is switched off and on -- seems throttle position dependent

2.) or it will drive perfectly fine.

Seems to be influenced by:
-throttle position
-load (may be hallucinating, but it seems that when I upshift or downshift it tends to 'go normal'

Could this be a throttle position sensor worn out?

http://liveimages.carsales.com.au/duc/car/private/3672249.jpg

Scorpion8
02-06-2009, 01:13 AM
Do you have a check engine light at any time?

REALGRAVEROBBER
02-06-2009, 01:39 AM
Yes, the amber 'Check Engine' light has been blinking since I got the car 1.5 months ago.

My psychic powers make me think (1.) partially/erratically clogged fuel filter, (2.) TPS.

Any ideas? Will drive fine for a little, then die/lurch, run, sputter, repeat...:eek:

Scorpion8
02-07-2009, 12:49 AM
Under the driver's side kick panel (right under the steering colum) if you pull that panel off there are two black single-wire connectors. They'll look like they belong to be connected, and you'll wonder why they aren't. If you hook those up, put the key in the iginition and turn it to accessory (but not start) then the check engine light will flash a sequence of codes. If you can read me back that code sequence (2 long 2 short - pause - 4 long 1 short pause etc) we can read out the OBD1 codes and figure it out.

REALGRAVEROBBER
02-07-2009, 04:52 AM
Will do. Thanks!