PDA

View Full Version : 91 Subaru Legacy Wagon "Ruff Idle"

Subi 91
02-04-2009, 01:15 AM
I just bought this car today and got a good deal on it so I got it with some problems. I have owned a few of these in the past one that I put nearly 300,000 miles on it. This one has 142,000 miles. And it runs great but has a ruff idle and a little hesitation on take off. It has brand new plugs and plug wires. No water in the oil or oil in the water. It does not have any over heating problems. The check engine light is staying on and the man I got it from said he thought the new plugs and wires would take care of it but it didnt so he gave up. I noticed the coil pack has junk yard neon marker stuff wrote on it. Not sure where to start. Fuel injectors? New coil pack? Maybe someone on here has had this same problem. Please help if you have.

Subi 91
02-04-2009, 05:17 PM
We have drove it around evrywhere today and it never gets any better or any worse. The man I got it from said he felt like it might have been from bad gas as he said it ran fine up till one day when they got gas from a station that had been closed for about a year had opened up under a different name. He said they thought maybe it was water and ran gas treatments in it and fuel injection cleaner but nothing changed. So he done the tune up on it and still no change. It never goes dead and does not smoke but you can feel a loss in power starting out or going up hill. Runs like it is missing a spark plug but they are all in place. We are going to give it to my son as his first car if we can get this problem fixed. Any information or ideas would be great I have little idea how these cars work. Looks like fuel injection to me and it has one coil pack for all 4 plugs.

Scorpion8
02-05-2009, 12:07 AM
At 142,000 I would hope that the timing belt has been replaced. If not, then it may have stretched, throwing off the timing of the engine (which is most apparent at idle). Does the previous owner have the service records?

REALGRAVEROBBER
02-05-2009, 01:18 AM
Throttle Position Sensor?

Fuel cap not venting (turn is slightly loose and see if it continues).

Assuming a good fuel filter too?