PDA

View Full Version : Subaru Outback keeps cutting out and running down battery

jeffconsiglio
01-10-2009, 08:15 AM
Hi,

My 1995 Subaru Outback Legacy has an ongoing, intermittent issue which nobody seems able too figure out. Hoping someone here may have an idea.

It "cuts out" and "sputters" while driving down the road at times. Also, the battery keeps running down. Car occasionally dies, then will not restart without jump.

I bought this car off Ebay, and now I realize she got rid of it because she was having the same problem over and over. I managed to get the car's service records from Firestone, and she had brought the car in multiple times with the exact same issue I'm now having.

Firestone has replaced the alternator on that car 3 times!
The car has a brand new battery that's good - but keeps running down
The current alternator is brand new, and fully functioning

She also replaced spark plug wires

The problem seems worse on humid or rainy days, which we have plenty of in Shreveport, LA.

It's been to Firestone at lest 6 or 7 times and they can't find the real problem because of course it never does it while they have it on a diagnostic.

The only two possibilities I can think of are a faulty rotor or perhaps a computer switching off the alternator. Ant of those sound like they'd cause this? Or perhaps someone has an even better idea?

Thanks so much!

Scorpion8
01-11-2009, 01:46 AM
Does the voltage warning lamp come on? There was a 1997 recall on these cars for the alternator wiring. See if this recall has been performed on the car, WXF-63.

jeffconsiglio
01-11-2009, 07:14 AM
Does the voltage warning lamp come on? There was a 1997 recall on these cars for the alternator wiring. See if this recall has been performed on the car, WXF-63.

No, but the ALT warning light comes on when ever it dies. But the alternator is brand new, so wouldn't that ensure I don't have one with bad wiring? Or is the wiring issue with the connections outside the actual alternator itself?

Scorpion8
01-11-2009, 08:02 PM
The recall says "...insufficient wiring contact to the Alternator IC Regulator. When this occurs, the warning lamp will illuminate. If the vehicle continues to be operated in this condition, the engine may eventually stop running." Sounds like a wiring issue between the alternator and the voltage regulator circuit. And sounds just like your condition. You may want to contact Subaru and see if there is a record of this recall having been performed on your VIN.

jeffconsiglio
01-12-2009, 09:34 AM
The recall says "...insufficient wiring contact to the Alternator IC Regulator. When this occurs, the warning lamp will illuminate. If the vehicle continues to be operated in this condition, the engine may eventually stop running." Sounds like a wiring issue between the alternator and the voltage regulator circuit. And sounds just like your condition. You may want to contact Subaru and see if there is a record of this recall having been performed on your VIN.

I think you just might have nailed my problem. :) Thanks so much!

Scorpion8
01-13-2009, 01:15 AM
We're here to help. If it turns out this "is" the exact problem, please come back and post a follow-up to help others later.

jeffconsiglio
01-14-2009, 08:07 AM
We're here to help. If it turns out this "is" the exact problem, please come back and post a follow-up to help others later.

Will do! Thanks again.