PDA

View Full Version : My car won't start!

Honest Bill
01-09-2009, 06:49 PM
My 2002 Subaru Forester won't start!!!

I left the accessory ignition switch on and completely drained my battery (only clicked when I tried to start it) ... I popped the hood and hooked it up to a charger (200 Amps for an immediate boost, which has always started a car with a dead battery before) ... the horn went off (non-stop, not intermittent) ... I played with the key fob to turn the alarm off and stop the horn with no luck ... I called Subaru and was told to cycle through the key settings 3 times to disengage the security system, which stopped the horn ... the car still won't start, however (no clicking now) ... nothing works except the door chime when the door is open ... I called Subaru back and they said it might be a blown fuse ... I checked all the fuses and they seem to be OK.

Since there is no clicking when I turn the ignition key now (after charging the batter for several minutes), I'm convinced that this has something to do with my security system not allowing the ignition to engage. Does anyone know what I should do at this point? I'm staring at having my car towed to a mechanic at this point, when everything worked fine with my car prior to letting the battery run down.

Thanks

kevin
09-16-2010, 08:55 PM
charge battery fully. With doors closed lock with remote or key let sit for a minute then unlock with remote or key this should disarm alarm . manual or auto transmission ? if auto try start with trans in neutral ,manual make sure clutch fully depressed when things go wrong we all rush clutch safety can go bad but lean toward alarm starter kill if so equipped. do you work on car ? you can test for starter crank at starter with a test light .probe connector with small wire that connects to starter soleniod (wire just below large wire coming from battery positive terminal to starter should light test light when helper tries to start/crank engine.