PDA

View Full Version : Help! Blown Head Gasket Problem!

jimon007
01-09-2009, 02:41 AM
Hi!
I live in Wellington, NZ. I have Subaru Legacy TS-R Non-Turbo 1998 and according to mechanic it has blown head gaskets. I have radiator repaired, hose s refitted, themostats checked. What it does is:

Symptom: For the first 20 or 30 mins okay but the temp goes up to Red zone. When I open the bonnet I found that the coolant in the reservoir was boiling (sort of). Then turned off the engine and found there were loss of coolant. It drives okay except getting overheated.

Possible cause: I drove long trip with faulty tyres (they bounced) and found there were no coolant left. So I filled in with coolant (concentration without mixing with water) and anti-leak sealant (Bar's leak - didn't follow the instruction - should have shake vigorously but found it later) then it drove well. I found some smoke the other day and didn't check. I operated air con full (it is summer here) and drove longer than usual distance. Suddenly the car stopped in the middle of road. Cooled it down and managed to park. I came back to the car 2 hours later and found the car was driveable (should have checked the coolant). I drove people off and on my way back to home found the temp was so high. I stopped at patrol station and found the steam coming out. I added some water (quite a lot) and cool it down before drove to home (about 10 mins driving). Then I parked the car for 3 weeks and went to garage to repair the radiator. He told me that he repaired and told me it should be okay but watch out for possible damage to the head gasket. I drove it for 30 mins and found the overheating problem (losing coolant...and it boiled but no steam etc) so I contacted the mechanic and left the car with him. He checked the themostats and test drove. It was intially okay for 20 mins then overheated. He told me he did the pressure test and it has blown head gaskets and it would cost me approx $4000 and get secondhand motor for $3000. what a ripoff!

I do not have the money. So I am looking for the option using "Engine Block sealer" (i.e. K&W Block sealer http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0007N1ZR2/ref=pd_luc_rvi_03_01 ). I found this while I was surfing for the advice. Reading from some of posts on the net that "2nd hand car dealers use the sealer to their cars. Is it true? Then it might be able to solve my problem . Any advice/suggestion or first hand experience you would like to share with me? I'd really appreciate your help in advance.

I am just new here and feel like a baby. I would really appreciate your TLC

jwhitetail
01-19-2009, 04:18 PM
Well this is my first post here, i live in the states and you can get the head gaskets fixed for about 700 to 1000 dollars, one thing i would do is take the thermostat out and see if it still over heats. These cars will blow head gaskets. You should change antifreeze ever 100,000 miles to help the head gaskets.

Administrator
01-19-2009, 05:05 PM
Yea, pretty sure when they did my crank and cam seals, they also changed the coolant because of the break in on the seals! I would at least have $1000 ready if you are going to have work done on the head gaskets!

guydakine
01-25-2009, 01:48 AM
Hey,
I just went through the same exact thing, my 96 just kept overheating, run fine, overheat, run fine, overheat again. Head job was going to be over $1000 so I opted to try one of the Japanese engines from Ebay with supposedly 50-60,000 miles on them for $1100. It was true, you could eat off of it it was so clean, everything was perfect except the wiring harness was cut!! Idiots, I used my old one and it runs like a sewing machine!! Smooth as silk.. I just did it a couple months ago, myself!, very proud of that, and it just turned 6000 miles without a glitch. If you have access to these trade in Jap engines pick one up and change it out yourself, it's easier than doing the heads and you get pretty much a whole new engine!! Good luck.. Aloha..

teddy
03-03-2010, 05:36 PM
I have been having issues since I did a head gasket job last month. NAPA sells a radiator vapor test kit to see if your head gaskets are allowing exhaust gasses into the cooling system. Comes with hand pump, test chamber, and test fluid for +- $45.00.