PDA

View Full Version : Major Oil Leak, EA82

eppoh
01-05-2009, 07:51 AM
brought this over from another thread, New Loyale Owner, but it is really about a large oil leak,

Okay, found the leak. I would say it is leaking more like a quart a day!

The leak is coming from the base of a cylinder head, where it meets the crankcase.

Is there some kind of oil passage through the head that has a seal where the head meets the block?

The oil leak is not too bad until you get up to around 3000 rpms, then it just drips steadily.

Waiting for a manual to arrive, to see what is involved in pulling the engine.

If it's leaking from the cylinder head gasket area, I'm surprised that you'd get any compression or that the engine would run rough. Do you have a compression tester? There is of course oil passages to the valves in the head to lubricate the valves assemblies. On the attached diagram, can you point to a general location of the oil drip by using one of the component location numbers?

eppoh
01-05-2009, 07:52 AM
It is almost right at the place where the number 7 appears (at the corner), except on the rear side of the cylinder and the opposite side of the engine.

Don't know how these cylinders are numbered.

Thanks for the diagram.

I will put a compression tester on it today. Do you know where the fuel relay is located?

Scorpion8
01-06-2009, 01:00 AM
Obviously, have you tried torquing down that head bolt located right there? It's possible that it was over-torqued and cracked/snapped, or has loosened just enough for the leak which occurs at higher rpm (see other thread) because the combustion pressure is pushing the oil out under pressure.

Scorpion8
01-06-2009, 01:01 AM
Fuel relay -- Did you look in the main relay box under the hood in the engine compartment?

eppoh
01-06-2009, 08:38 PM
Found the fuse for the fuel pump, under the dash. 15A.
Pulled it and did a cranking compression check with the engine warm, but not fully up to operating temp. We had run it at idle for about5 minutes.

The cranking compression was 175 on the cylinder next to where the leak is, so I doubt re-torquing the head bolts would make any difference. Also, if the head bolt had cracked or come loose, I think there would be coolant as well as low compression.

So, the question is, is it possible to remove the right side head with the engine in the car?

I am hoping it is only the gasket or maybe an oil passage seal.

Scorpion8
01-07-2009, 01:13 AM
So, the question is, is it possible to remove the right side head with the engine in the car?

It should be, although with these shoehorn jobs there may be a lot of interferences. Do you have a local Subaru dealer that you could casually ask that question of?

eppoh
01-07-2009, 07:13 AM
Nope, not within 50 miles

Scorpion8
01-08-2009, 01:26 AM
Well, on my wife's Legacy, there are a few things in the way, but it is doable. That's a 2.2l boxer. Room to work under the hood is your biggest issue. I'd make sure you have the shop manual (of course) and a good collection of tools.