PDA

View Full Version : New Loayle owner

eppoh
12-30-2008, 08:16 PM
Hope I am in the right place. Didn't see a forum for Loyale, so this looked close.

I just bought a 93 Loyale with 76,000 miles. A lady owned it and was moving, and needed to sell it.

As far as I can tell, she kept the basic services up on it, but she did not remember timing belts. It also has a pretty major oil leak,that I have not located yet.

Anyway, I am okay with a wrench. Heard these suby's are pretty easy to work on.

What is story on changing belts on these and also maybe the oil pump gasket?

Thanks,

BTW, It is a reallllly clean car- everything works and has new tires.

Scorpion8
12-31-2008, 05:04 PM
Is the engine acting up? Timing belts usually don't need to be replaced until about 100k. The procedure itself is pretty simple although not for the faint hearted. Which engine do you have?

eppoh
01-01-2009, 02:46 AM
It's running fine, just a major oil leak and little rough idle, with noisy valve train at idle. My guess is that the oil pressure is low at idle due to a leak at the oil pump seal.

It is a 1.8

Scorpion8
01-01-2009, 03:56 PM
Depending how much work you want to put into it, the oil pump removal and installation looks fairly easy as it's on the front of the engine where the oil filter attaches. Do you have the shop manual? You may (in the meantime) try a can of high viscosity STP Oil Treatment which coats moving parts better on worn engines. How much oil are you losing, per se? A quart a month, or a quart a week? Where is it leaking from? And lo-oil pressure can be from a old worn oil pump, depending on how well she had it maintained while the previous owner had it.

Scorpion8
01-02-2009, 01:55 AM
There's also a relief valve off the pump. You may try adjusting that a 1/4 turn or so.

eppoh
01-02-2009, 04:10 PM
Ordered a manual for it. Will look at it tomorrow to try and find the leak. About a quart a week is what the Previous owner told me. Just recently started leaking, so I'm hoping it might even be something easy like a bad oil filter seal. That happened to me once before on a Honda.

Scorpion8
01-02-2009, 10:05 PM
If the oil leak is from the filter, the previous owner may not have lubed the filter gasket before he/she/they installed it, or they only tightened it hand tight with a ladies grip. Sometimes that filter gasket will snag and come off some if you don't rub a finger full of oil on it before twisting on the new filter.

eppoh
01-04-2009, 02:52 PM
Okay, found the leak. I wouldsay it is leaking more like a quart a day!

The leak is coming from the base of a cylinder head, where it meets the crankcase.

Is there some kind of oil passage through the head that has a seal where the head meets the block?

The oil leak is not too bad until you get up to around 3000 rpms, then it just drips steadily.

Waiting for a manual to arrive, to see what is involved in pulling the engine.

Scorpion8
01-04-2009, 11:20 PM
If it's leaking from the cyclinder head gasket area, I'm surprised that you'd get any compression or that the engine would run rough. Do you have a compression tester? There is of course oil passages to the valves in the head to lubricate the valves assemblies. On the attached diagram, can you point to a general location of the oil drip by using one of the component location numbers?

eppoh
01-05-2009, 07:40 AM
It is almost right at the place where the number 7 appears (at the corner), except on the rear side of the cylinder and the opposite side of the engine.

Don't know how these cylinders are numbered.

Thanks for the diagram.

I will put a compression tester on it today. Do you know where the fuel relay is located?

Also, since this thread is mostly about an oil leak, I am going to start a new thread with a ,ore appropriate title, so others will see it too.

Please respond on the new thread "major oil leak?