PDA

View Full Version : Replacing Clutch/ Resurfacing Flywheel

abattel4
01-31-2012, 02:35 PM
My clutch just started slipping.

I was quoted $800 for a clutch kit and labor to replace my clutch at Garage 1 Auto. This included having the fly wheel milled/resurfaced. My question is about the fly wheel, but would appreciate any general feed back about the clutch.

Is it okay to have the flywheel resurfaced instead of replacing it?

smiffy6four
02-01-2012, 06:32 AM
My clutch just started slipping.

I was quoted $800 for a clutch kit and labor to replace my clutch at Garage 1 Auto. This included having the fly wheel milled/resurfaced. My question is about the fly wheel, but would appreciate any general feed back about the clutch.

Is it okay to have the flywheel resurfaced instead of replacing it?

It's totally OK to have it resurfaced, as long as it doesn't have lots of cracks in it.

Have you seen the flywheel, or is the shop quoting for resurfacing just in case it needs it? Unless the clutch has been used way past when it started to fail, there shouldn't be any damage to the flywheel.

abattel4
02-01-2012, 01:14 PM
The shop is quoting me for the resurfacing in case they need it to be resurfaced. I will ask to look at it when they pull it out and take a picture. Thanks!

michaelrepair
02-10-2012, 12:25 AM
It would to know what year it is some flywheels are spring loaded and I find it best to get a kit from sube some clutch problems have come from the knock sensor programing with two close a perameter causing the timing to retard causing a stumble and the driver slipping the clutch for a smoother ride

abattel4
02-22-2012, 05:23 PM
2000 subaru legacy gt wagon

My check engine light Was on and it was slipping at the same time. It was the knock sensor and I did have the knock sensor replaced. The clutch has still been slipping since I replaced the knock sensor though.

How do I find out if this is the issue. And if it is the issue what is the best way to correct it.

michaelrepair
02-24-2012, 12:14 AM
replacing a electrical part will not fix a worn out clutch

abattel4
02-24-2012, 10:11 PM
did i screw up the clutch by driving with a bad knock sensor?

michaelrepair
02-27-2012, 10:00 PM
A bad knock sensor effects the timing at slow engine acceleration
such as stop signs and parking lots making you slip the clutch more.
If you allowed the clutch to slip and damaged the clutch face I would recommend a clutch kit that includes a flywheel