PDA

View Full Version : A cry out for help! Air flow sensor problems :(

WaylandR
12-08-2011, 03:59 PM
Hi if any one out there can give me any help on this I would be
Very grateful. This one has got me stumped I don't no where to
Go from here.
Ive got a 2001 forester turbo (uk totally standard)
Last year I had problems with the car misfiring under load and
The car revved up and down during idle. Basically really poor running.
After changing the plugs leads filter the car was no different so i got a used air flow meter from the scrappy and boom the car ran perfect.
Now last week I've started encountering the same symptoms poor performance bad idleing misfires rich smell of gasses ect. Not quite as bad as before but as you guys no when you are driving your car every day you do notice the little things
That don't feel quite right.
So naturally I decided the mas is on its way out again. So I orde
red a replacement
But not a genuine part. Put it on and no it was worse than the one I had on
So I sent it back as faulty and went to a Subaru dealer. They took the chassis number and got me the genuine part.
I put this on in the car park and much to my confusion
The problems were even worse I couldnt even get the car above
25mph as the misfires were that bad!
The dealers were good enough to re check all the part numbers and even let me fit another 2 meters but all with the same outcome. So I put my old one back on and limped home:( :( .
So my question is why would the car run so poor with a brand new air flow meter on ?
Fair enough if the mas wasn't the problem then it should have made no difference when I fitted the new one but to run even worse !?!?
Really can't get my head round this one. Any one had similar problems or can offer me some advice that would be greatly received. I avnt got much more hair to pull out :)
Thanks for reading folks cheers .

Knight
12-08-2011, 06:56 PM
so i guess the check engine light is not coming on. I betting its a broken wire/ bad ground or possibly a o2 sensor

WaylandR
12-09-2011, 04:22 AM
There's no engine check lights on. No sign of broken wires or pipes
That I can see anyhow. I am going to try and source an O2
Sensor tday. Will report back. Thanks .

WaylandR
12-10-2011, 01:08 PM
Changed the O2 sensor tday still the same. What I
Did notice is if I unplug the O2 sensor the car runs the same
And I dont get a dash warning light !??
Any more ideas :/

Knight
12-11-2011, 07:25 PM
are you sure theirs no vacume leaks. to diganose if theirs a vacume leaks take a can of brake cleaner or some other flammable airasole ans spray around engine when running if their is a vacume leak it will suck it in and run different and that how you find a leak.