PDA

View Full Version : winter tire questions

sawx
11-02-2011, 10:26 AM
Hi all,

after getting caught off guard in the last weekend's snow storm (Ramapo / Harriman SP region NY), i need to winter proof my 2010 forester.

I have a few question that i hope you guys can guide me through:

1. just tires vs wheels and tires? A friend recommends spending extra on steel wheels and tires combo. Tirerack mounts and balances combos pre-shipping. As i understand, if i get just the tires, i will have to go to a shop to have them installed / balanced which may cost about $25 a tire.

What are pros/cons of getting the combo? I understand that tmps will not work as the sensors are located in the wheels. What other surprises are there?

2. If i do decide to get the tire/wheel combo, should i get the same wheel/tire sizing (215/65/ 16 inch) that the car had installed originally? Is it advised to get wider tires for better traction?

3. Im thinking of getting the General Altimax Arctic tires. heard good things about those. anybody here uses them? if so whats your verdict?

Thanks in advance for the help,

Sawx

2007fuji
11-05-2011, 02:31 AM
Having an extra set of wheels to go with your winter tires saves money on mounting and balancing...you can even swap the wheelsets yourself. TPMS is not a neccesity...it just warns you if the tire pressure is low.

It makes sense to use a wider tire for better traction, but you dont have to.