PDA

View Full Version : Prospective 2012 Impreza 5-Door Buyer

staryoshi
10-27-2011, 01:28 PM
I am looking at reserving and eventually buying a new Impreza (5-door limited or sport-limited trim), as they'll be here in December. Subi has finally won me over by vastly improving gas mileage and bringing the interior space/styling/features and exterior style up to speed.

I have a few questions that I'm hoping the knowledgeable folks here can answer :)

What should I expect in terms of maintenance?

I am not looking for WRX performance, but can I do much in the way of swapping filters, plugs, new all-season tires, etc, that require minimal effort (Lack of my own garage-shop as of present) or can be installed professionally without too much investment to squeeze a little more performance and/or economy out of the new Impreza?

What's the best way to negotiate with a Subi dealer to get a competitive sale price? My alternatives are the new 5-door Ford Focus and the Chevy Cruze, so I was hoping to get competitive pricing from them as well for use in my negotiations.

Thanks for any help, I'll be browsing the forums to bone up on my Subi knowledge in the coming weeks :)

2007fuji
10-28-2011, 01:27 AM
Make sure to change the oil every 3,500 miles, adjust the valves at 100,000 miles...everything else is a 30-60-90K mile intervals.

I would try a K&N filter, synthetic motor oil, STP exhaust to start...but remember, parts arent cheap.

As far as comparing Subaru with Ford and Chevrolet...only Subaru has standard all wheel drive and the most power.

staryoshi
10-28-2011, 01:42 AM
Thanks for the maintenance tips. The new Impreza really only sets itself apart (for me) with AWD (I like other aspects of the car, it just isn't a class leader in any other category) I don't expect it to match the new Focus in terms of performance, MPG, or technology. It seems like half the people out here in Colorado have one, so hopefully the service centers are well-versed :P

2007fuji
10-28-2011, 02:04 AM
Get brochures of each car, to see all of their pros and cons

mn2012legacy
01-14-2012, 08:38 PM
2012 uses synthetic oil. 7500 oil changes.

Morzada
02-05-2012, 03:59 PM
Sorry to thread jack, but I'm a prospective 2012 impreza buyer also - sport limited is what I'm looking at.

My question is - does anyone know an actual real-world 0-60 or 1/4-mile time for the car? I've been all over the internet and I see a 0-60 of 9.6 seconds posted by Subaru themselves, but also 8.5 posted by Motor Trend.

I'll be leaving behind a Mazda Protege5 - and acceleration was not its strong point. However, it did better than 9.6!

Thanks - EJT

staryoshi
02-10-2012, 09:16 PM
I don't have an answer for you, but I should probably update the thread anyway... I cancelled my pre-order in January after waiting for 3 months without an update. (I wasn't 100% impressed with the interior I got to investigate a sold order, either) I've decided to wait for another car, possibly the Mazda3 or Mazda CX-5 or something around Q3 of this year. Subaru's delays cost them a sale.

antony2834
02-15-2012, 03:31 AM
I don't have an answer for you, but I should probably update the thread anyway... I cancelled my pre-order in January