PDA

View Full Version : Top Mileage for WRX

blckninja
10-27-2011, 01:25 PM
Hey guys, im looking at possibly getting a WRX and was wondering what the top mileage on one of those cars I should look at. I dont want it to be too high because obviously it has a better chance of something going wrong. Thanks for the help!

2007fuji
10-28-2011, 01:00 AM
If the car has been maintained regularly, some parts could last to 500,000 miles...

...if the car has been neglected...I'd say 100-150,000 miles.

Buying a car is like getting married....for better or worse...and marrying someone sane helps...Subaru is sane.

EricJT7
11-23-2011, 09:54 PM
I would say it depends on a number of factors, including your budget, any major performance modifications to the car, how well the car has been maintained, if it has had the necessary parts replaced/rebuilt and properly based on the mileage, if it has been in any accidents, and if you are are able to do any major maintenance work yourself. If you have 20-25k to spend, you will not have a problem finding a nice stock 2009-2010 WRX with low mileage. If you have 12-16 grand to spend on a WRX, maybe you would be looking at a 2004-2007 WRX with 60k miles to 100k miles. If you have seven to ten grand to spend on a WRX, you will likely end up looking at 2002-2003 models with fairly high mileage. If possible, I would opt for a well maintained example with absolutely no more than 140k miles, preferably closer to 100k miles. Whichever year you end up getting, a well cared for and sensibly driven WRX may be able to exceed 150k+ miles without any major warning signs of transmisson/engine problems. With that said, on the opposite side of the spectrum, a slightly modified example (boost set to 25+ psi with an aftermarket turbo) driven very hard by a relatively inexperienced driver and not properly maintained may need to have an engine, transmission, or both replaced at under 60k miles. Regardless of all these factors, it is always going to be a gamble to some degree, as even a brand new car can develop engine problems within the first or second year. Generally, the higher the mileage on the parts in the car, the higher the risk of something going wrong. But what is even more important than the mileage itself is the overall condition of the car, mechanically and otherwise. A car that has been beaten on and neglected as far as maintenance is bound to have problems earlier on, while a car that has been properly maintained and has been sensibly driven should be able to last years to come with only basic maintenance. Sorry that I was not able to give you a straight answer, but based on cars in general and from what I have learned about the WRX's, that is as straight an answer as I can give you without making a complete guess as to how long a car will last you or someone else. I am sure someone with more knowledge on Subarus can probably narrow down my answer a little better and use a general use of thumb for how long a stock WRX drivetrain should last with proper maintenance, whether its a 2.0 or 2.5 litre.