PDA

View Full Version : problems with reprogramming remote

mikedoolin
10-22-2011, 11:10 AM
Hi - new here. Just bought a 2001 Outback which I absolutely love! Has 172k on it and runs great. Trying to program a new remote but can't get the security system to shut off/stop blinking on the instrument cluster, so I can't get the reprogramming done.

I'm following the instructions in the manual but the little light never stops blinking. Any suggestions?

Thanks for the help!

Mike Doolin

2007fuji
10-22-2011, 07:49 PM
If you are not using the SM3 computer, there are 12 steps to programming a remote.

1.make sure you have the remote ID code[8 digits]
2.close all doors
3.get in the drivers seat, and close the door
4.perform the following steps within 45 seconds:
a.open and close the drivers door once
b.turn the ignition to "on" 10 times within 15 seconds[a buzzer will sound]
5.open and close the driver door once within 15 seconds of the end of buzzer opperation[electronic tone will sound for 30 seconds]
6.before the tone stops sounding,press the door "lock" button the same numer of times as the left most digit of the remote ID code
7.press the door "unlock" button within 5 seconds of finnishing the lock sequence
8.perform parts 6 and 7 for every remaining digit of the remote ID code[left to right,when finnished with the 8th digit a electronic tone will sound for 30 seconds]
9.befor the tone stops sounding, start entering the entire code again the same way
10.after you have entered the code the second time,an electronic code will sound for 1 second indicating completion
11.for additional remotes, start now at step 3
12.turn off ignition and remove the key. close the door and test the remote.

mikedoolin
10-23-2011, 10:33 AM
If you are not using the SM3 computer, there are 12 steps to programming a remote.

1.make sure you have the remote ID code[8 digits]
2.close all doors
3.get in the drivers seat, and close the door
4.perform the following steps within 45 seconds:
a.open and close the drivers door once
b.turn the ignition to "on" 10 times within 15 seconds[a buzzer will sound]
5.open and close the driver door once within 15 seconds of the end of buzzer opperation[electronic tone will sound for 30 seconds]
6.before the tone stops sounding,press the door "lock" button the same numer of times as the left most digit of the remote ID code
7.press the door "unlock" button within 5 seconds of finnishing the lock sequence
8.perform parts 6 and 7 for every remaining digit of the remote ID code[left to right,when finnished with the 8th digit a electronic tone will sound for 30 seconds]
9.befor the tone stops sounding, start entering the entire code again the same way
10.after you have entered the code the second time,an electronic code will sound for 1 second indicating completion
11.for additional remotes, start now at step 3
12.turn off ignition and remove the key. close the door and test the remote.

This looks promising. I'll try it. Thanks for the help.

2007fuji
10-28-2011, 01:34 AM
If you cant get it to work, contact the dealer...lol

mikedoolin
10-29-2011, 09:37 AM
Thanks to all. I finally figured it out. The manual neglects to tell you that you need to have the horn/lights signaling turned on and you can't be in valet mode. Both of these conditions must be set before the reprogramming sequence will work.

I love this car! Can't imagine now why I never looked at Subarus - been buying cars for 50 years and this is the first Subaru. Won't be the last.

2007fuji
10-31-2011, 10:24 PM
Congrats! good job!