PDA

View Full Version : 97 Legacy wagon bizarre power window glitch

Jasper
10-05-2011, 07:13 PM
Here's a very weird window problem: my driver's side window works perfectly with the engine off. With the engine running, however, it powers all the way down and stops, but then a few seconds later it tries to power down again. And again, and again, every four seconds or so, until I wind it up a bit. I changed the switch, thinking it might be the auto-rolldown relay, but that didn't fix it. Again, the engine has to be running (and the voltage thus at charging level) for this to happen. Any ideas, anyone?

typhoonk
10-22-2011, 02:12 PM
disconnect the power window motor and check the voltage at the connector when the engine is running and button pushed.

If the voltage is correct, then try applying voltage directly to the motor and see what happens.

harper
11-06-2011, 10:25 PM
I'm curious to see if that did it. My driver's side power window has the same problem. If I don't engage the auto-roll (press only halfway on button), there's no problem. I haven't tried with the motor off.

Jasper
11-08-2011, 04:04 PM
As far as one can tell, the only difference between having the engine running and not in this case would be the voltage. If the battery is getting old (mine is), its output voltage may be dropping. However, that would not explain why the window works OK on battery voltage but not on charging voltage, unless the reverse is true - battery voltage is correct, but alternator output voltage is too high/low. I might have a new battery put in anyway, as it's near time, and see if that fixes the problem.
Here's another one: when I back out of my driveway with the headlights on, there is a "boingggg" noise and the lights seem to adjust themselves somehow. Self-leveling lights for towing, maybe?