PDA

View Full Version : Losing Water

RedScoobSteve
06-09-2011, 05:40 PM
New on here, right im on my sixth scooby and not experienced this before. Water is dissapearing from the radiator. I cleaned the engine, topped water levels then did a run. Its somewhere from the right hand side of the radiator, coolant bottle............found fresh water around those areas. Didnt appear to be any around the radiator cap, seems well sealed.......

Oil is fresh clean black
Temp does not rise
Heaters work untill water has been used up, couple of days

Any ideas?

apsolus
06-10-2011, 11:59 PM
might have to remove stuff and see in that area if you can see a leak. seems you didnt need anyhelp as you already traced the leak.

RedScoobSteve
06-11-2011, 07:09 AM
cant find a leak no where, when stationary there isnt a leak to be spotted, when its being driven about is the cause of water escaping. Took it for a run yesterday and the temp flew up? Now she parked up to prevent further damage. Fans are working fine on the radiator.

Ordered a thermostat this morning, did my research on where its situated and how to fit, removed the housing, no thermostat?.............fitted the new one and im still having the same problem?

Im about to return to the car and try a new radiator cap, cant see it being this but worth a try.

RedScoobSteve
06-11-2011, 08:09 AM
New radiator cap same problem.

Just read somewhere that it could be a air lock in the system, and to squeeze the radiator piping with the expansion tank lid off, i done this. Temperature held, heaters blowing hot. Went for a drive, was fine, soon as i boosted hard, 20 min or so later, heaters gone cold. Temperature fine, popped the hood, top radiator pipe was bloating and expanding as if was about to burst. Im assuming its airlocked inside again, as the bottome hose leading to the thermostat was cold, and this is my problem, any ideas?

apsolus
06-11-2011, 09:14 AM
go get the cooling system checked for blown headgaskets. notice any smoke out of exhaust? also while you are there get the cooling system pressure tested, that should point out the leak. sorry but your posts are kinda hard to read for me. so im not really sure im giving you the info you need lol

Green Durant
08-26-2011, 12:51 AM
3.I am so glad this internet thing works and your article really helped me. Might take you up on that home advice you

LouisVuiHabaUK
09-19-2011, 09:19 PM
Thanks for the links, I'll read them on my lunch break. I haven't heard much about whats coming.

Bigisland
09-28-2011, 11:33 AM
well, it's better to use the tool that they call the Cooling system pressure tester and use toll when engine is cold. You will find leaking place easily. x19