PDA

View Full Version : No start issue

Tosh
05-30-2011, 08:39 AM
My earlier post, based on my wife's description, was incorrect. My '03 Forester has an occasional no-start problem (I thought it was no-crank). It cranks like crazy, but does not start. Resting for a minute seems to make the problem go away for a few days. Any suggestions?

apsolus
06-02-2011, 10:35 PM
crank or cam sensors or both. thats a start. these snsors tell the computer when to ad spark. if the sensors dont sync together engine will not start, but if one goes out while the engine is runnin it makes no diff, the problem is when you try to start again. check for loose connections

Tosh
06-03-2011, 06:28 PM
crank or cam sensors or both. thats a start. these snsors tell the computer when to ad spark. if the sensors dont sync together engine will not start, but if one goes out while the engine is runnin it makes no diff, the problem is when you try to start again. check for loose connections

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll borrow an OBD code reader to verify, but assuming that it is bad sensor(s), can you give me some clue about where to find them and if it's an easy job. Much appreciated.

apsolus
06-04-2011, 01:52 PM
im not sure where they are, but there might be two cam sensors due to the boxer layout, near the heads. and the crank sensor will either be at the front or rear near the crankshaft, i dont know for sure but id def say its an easy job if you can get under the car