PDA

View Full Version : 97 Outback Sport Steering Issues, etc...

willapajames
05-04-2011, 08:47 AM
Hi there, new to this forum, but not new to Subarus...
I've got a 1997 Outback Sport (2.2 litre, manual) that is on its last legs (It'll pass 200,000 miles this week), but I've got to keep it running for at least another year because I'm saving up for a wedding. So here's what's going on:

The steering has some really stiff spots in it. When turning the wheels from one side to the other, there are 3 or 4 spots where it is much harder to turn than others. The obvious culprit would be something with the power steering right? I checked the fluid, it was low, topped it off, and it still did it. I tightened the belt tension, and that made no difference either. At one point, I had an idea that maybe one of my front brakes was grabbing and making it hard to turn, but it felt the same with the front wheels in the air, so that rules that out. What do you think?

The other problem might be more serious and has only recently started to become a problem. While driving along, Iíll suddenly lose power. The rpms drop to zero and the electrical goes out (power steering and brakes included). Fortunately, I can start it back up again fine while itís rolling along (itís a manual), but not until I turn the ignition all the way off. What the heck could be causing this? The battery is reliable, spark plugs, wires, and coil were replaced within the past year.

Are the two problems related? Whatís going on? Iím not a mechanic (a bicycle mechanic, but that doesnít count), but Iím capable enough to work on things myself if I get a diagnosis. Iíve also got a buddy who knows quite a lot. Iíd prefer to do the repairs myself since, as I mentioned, Iím trying to keep this thing alive for as cheap as possibleÖ

Thanks in advance!