PDA

View Full Version : Subaru Roof Rack System vs. Yakima System

mattylynn
03-30-2011, 09:21 PM
Hi All,

I have a 2007 WRX Wagon with factory rails on it. Looking to build out a roof rack system with bike & ski attachments.

I've had a Yakima system before on other cars, and always thought it added a lot of wind noise, even with a fairing and wind jammer.

I have priced out ordering all Subaru parts vs. Yakima parts, and the Subaru system actually seems to be cheaper, but will it hold up to Yakima, or Thule standards? There are def less options with the Subaru system then if I go full Yakima. hmmm.

Also, do you think the flat Subaru cross bars will help reduce wind noise vs. getting a Yakima kit and round cross bars?

Any thoughts greatly appreciated!

jege41
05-22-2011, 01:08 PM
I have the Subaru stock rack and I like it. It's quiet, relatively strong and looks pretty good and shouldn't rust as its made of aluminium.I haven't bought any attachments for it yet and my Sport Rack 13 l ski box will have to be replaced as it is to long for the hatchback.
I like some of the Yakima box's I have seen on other cars so may look into one of them.

grsxrayson
06-15-2011, 07:01 PM
why not thule i worked in a shop that delt with thule sport rack and yakima. if thule makes a rack for your car spend the extra bucks it will save you money in the long run and last FOREVER!!!

jege41
06-16-2011, 04:29 AM
I think Thule are pretty good racks as i have owned a couple, however the bars will rust out after about 6 years.
Sport Rack is made by Thule and costs half the price, the only drawback with them is that not as many vehicles work with them, or at least it so apears because quite often its only the bar length that is the problem , but a hack saw can fix that issue.
I have the Subaru rack on my 2011 WRX and really like it so far, although I haven't checked out the price on adapters for the toys yet.