PDA

View Full Version : Essential first upgrades to 2005 WRX STI?

Davey303
01-20-2011, 01:01 AM
I just purchased my Subaru 2 weeks ago. And I was wondering what are some upgrades that are essential for STI owners to have. My budget is under $500 (performance upgrades). I am a first time Subaru owner, and was wondering if I could get some good advice. Thanks. :D

mc_001
02-18-2011, 06:39 PM
When I first bought my WRX, I had the same problem. $500, isn't alot to play with, but you could upgrade the Intake with a K&N Typhoon Cold Air Intake, about $250 to $300 bucks new. Or try to find it cheaper someplace else, maybe Ebay.

RPM
04-06-2011, 01:21 AM
There are so many bolt-on mods for your car. I recommend letting the turbo breath. Get a intake and a catback exhaust with a accessport. If you only want to spend 500 or less on parts and your going todo the install your self, I would do the intake. If you are willing to spend alittle more get a catback exhaust and a drop in high performance air filter, but make sure to remove the intake arm located in the finder to allow the factory intake ato breath.

Monstersubie
04-06-2011, 11:13 PM
I'm not sure if the 05's have it but if it has a cat pre-turbo replace that pipe pronto. Known cause to a turbo to grenade. Do some preventative maintainence and save your pennies for inlet and downpipe.

brandonmillsap
07-13-2011, 02:18 AM
When I first bought my WRX, I had the same problem. $500, isn't alot to play with, but you could upgrade the Intake with a K&N Typhoon cold air intake (http://www.car-stuff.com/coldairintake.htm), about $250 to $300 bucks new. Or try to find it cheaper someplace else, maybe Ebay.

One of the best modifications you can perform in your 2005 WRX STI would be a cold air intake kit. A recommended brand would have to be K&N, as they are one of the best and most experienced intake manufacturers. A K&N cold air intake should cost you no more than $300. I would suggest you to look online first prior to dealerships as you can save more money.

Monstersubie
07-14-2011, 04:52 AM
No part is going to give you any gain (at least not a noticeable one). Best bet is a used cobb accessport. It will use every bit of that 500 dollars but best bang for your buck. Ps, K&N makes the best plastic intake tubes, but the worst filter. This is not only coming from one person but many shops and dealerships that have replace motors because of them. AEM makes the best filter (dryflow). And at your power level you don't need an intake anyway, just a drop-in high flow filter. The stock intake is good for approx. 400 hp.

RPM
07-14-2011, 03:26 PM
There are many intake options that will make a difference. I like the K&N, but Injen is good too. You will notice a difference in performance. On the 05 there is a precat. If you get a uppipe it will remove the cat. HKS sales one cheap. You might be able to get the intake and uppipe with your $500. I think thats a great first upgrade.