PDA

View Full Version : WRX 2008 Remove Cat from Up-pipe

Dan_Switzerland
12-23-2010, 07:18 AM
Hi all

I have a question to this forum outside of switzerland. A friend and me are owner of impreza wrx 2009 subarus with 230 HP. We plan to remove the cat from the up-pie. Here the questions we have:

1. Is it easy the remove the cat from the pipe?
2. Is there an "Lambdasonde" in the cat, if yes do we have to replace it
or what is to do with it?

3. Ho many additional PS do we get, after the modification?

Thanx for your answers and regards from switzerland
Dan

Monstersubie
03-29-2011, 04:27 AM
I believe Subaru stopped putting cats in up pipes in 06. I'm not 100 percent sure on the 08 body, but I'm almost positive you don't.

RPM
04-05-2011, 08:13 PM
You shouldnt have a cat in the uppipe. If you put a larger uppipe in the car, and a catless down pipe you will see hp gains. Also once the cat is removed tuning is a must. I would use the cobb accessport. It will handle all bolt on applications. Also remember that the factory up and down pipe have heatshealds. If you replace them with aftermarket pipes you need to wrap them or have them creamic coated. The shop I work at does Subaru's all day long.

Monstersubie
04-06-2011, 08:51 PM
An up pipe does show a little gain. A downpipe seemed more to me. Wrapping or powdercoating is strictly up to you bud. Just my opinion.

RPM
04-07-2011, 07:20 PM
The turbo is the hottiest thing under the hood. The factory up and down pipe have factory heat shields for a reason. The pipe will glow red hot and change color. After time can break welds. Also if the piping is ruining hotter the it will heat up the motor compartment. You want the heat to work its way out the tail pipe not heat things up. I would wrap it. If you running a top mount intercooler you allready know about the heat soak issues of Subarus.

Monstersubie
04-08-2011, 04:41 AM
Yes I fully understand thermodynamics...but I dont think you understand that when you wrap something, you trap heat in...a heat shield is COMPLETELY different from heat wrap. In some cases, if proper care isn't taken, which 98% of people don't, wrap can decrease the life of some products. There are pros and cons to everything.