PDA

View Full Version : Need advice 05 STi

Want05sti
12-13-2010, 01:21 PM
I've been in love with subarus ever sense I've been into cars.. I just got a new job making better money and finally I can afford one... Im very interested in the 05 Sti, does any one have any feed back about this model or have any advice about things I should be looking out for when purchasing one..... Thanks

mxer443
12-19-2010, 01:04 AM
i think that the 04's look the best, but i hear that the 06's and up dont have as many engine problems (i mean they general dont but the 06's are a little tiny bit more reliable)..

gbaer22
12-26-2010, 07:07 PM
the 04s and 05s look exactly alike dont they? i own a 04 and it runs great the only thing i noticed is struts went bad rather easily

justinowell
03-30-2011, 05:28 AM
I also had the same situation, and I needed to replace the struts. A friend suggested sachs struts (http://www.drivewire.com/brand/sachs/strut-inserts/) and to my surprise, found them totally brilliant. It didn't cost me much. Hope this is useful advice for you mate.

RPM
04-05-2011, 08:53 PM
The 04 and 05 looks the same. Subaru changed the body style in 06 to the hawk eys. I like the 04-05 year becuase it dose not have a electric throttle body and less smog controlls. If you like the look of the 06 you can do a front end converson. Finders, lights, hood, front bumper all bolts right on.

MrMorgan
07-21-2011, 03:43 AM
So I am in the same boat in looking into an 05 Sti. I stumbled across this while researching on what years would be the best for an Sti, in terms of reliability and which are the more preferable of the bunch. I am going to possibly get rid of my 95 M3 and get into a tougher and more reliable car. I want a fun and safe 4 door car, and with a subaru I believe would be the best choice for where I live. It doesnt snow, but it doesnt seem like our counties like re-paving roads.

Since I am a noob when in comes to Sti's, and most subarus, forgive my ignorance. From what I have read over the net for the last week it seems like there is a lot of lean towards an 05. But are the 06 or 07's that much more reliable? My main concern is the suspension, if there is any difference between them? I know it seems kinda silly to be concerned about the suspension of a rally bread car, but we have more pot holes than cars in a lot of places here. Also, how hard is it to work on the maintenance your self on a boxer engine? I try to take the DIY approach for most of the maintenance on the BMW, but they are surprisingly easy to work on.

I think an Sti will be a good mixture of fun and real world versatility. I have 2 kids, so a 4 door is a must. And I think an Subaru will be fun on our back roads. A buddy of mine owns a fabrication shop and always raves that the subarus are tough as nails, and any info on what I should look for in a used 04-07 sti would be helpful. Thanks in advance!

RPM
07-22-2011, 02:54 PM
We are selling a 2006 WRX. It has 35,000 miles on it and lots of extras. The car is making 350whp. HKS front mount, HKS intake filter, injen cold air intake, Perrin turbo inlet pipe, VF39 Hybrid turbo, Invidia down pipe, HKS Hi-power exhaust, Walbro fuel pump, Sun hyper ground system, HKS EVC, Cobb accessport, HKS turbo timer. greddy strut tower bar, KW V3 coilovers, 18 gunmetal wheels, Seibon carbon fiber hood, VIS crbon fiber trunk, APR carbon fiber front lip. All engine parts are ceramic coated black. $25,500. Call me if your interested.

MrMorgan
07-22-2011, 03:20 PM
I really like the look of the WRX. I am still looking for which if the STis would be the best to own. I really do not want a heavily modded car right now. I have heard that the STis are very capable off road, and that is a big bonus for me. I know that alll cars have thier off years, I just dont want to find out first hand :)