PDA

View Full Version : soft rattling sound coming from engine

somesh
09-14-2010, 01:04 PM
Hi,
I bought an used 2004 Subaru Legacy (wagon, 35th Ann. Ed.; 64K) a week ago. It is my first car and so far I love it!
However, last couple of days I noticed two types of sounds:
1. a soft rattling sound coming from the engine, the pace of rattling increases as I accelarate (even if it is parked or in nutral). But there is no vibrations as such.
2. there is shrill short-lived sound when I press the break pedal on the moving car. Actually it comes only when I press the break gently. The moment I press it hard, it goes away. It feels like the sounds comes only when the breaks starts to engage on the rotor and then when they are firmly engaged they are gone. Again, the breaking is very smooth, no vibration at all. The brakes were machined just before I bought it and I have driven around 250 miles so far.

Other than these, the car runs very smooth, no problem at all. Since this is my first car, I do not have any idea whether to worry about these sounds or what exactly to look for. If anyone can help me out, it'll be great.

If I need to check/post anything else, please let me know.

Thanks in advance,
:confused:
Somesh

apsolus
09-14-2010, 06:38 PM
smart move joining the forum i wish i joined a forum when i got my first car.
sounds to me like your lifters are rattling, make sure the engine has plenty of oil in it, might need a oil change. engine has lifters which are full of oil with a low oil level the oil drains out and you get that rattle noise. i hope thats your problem. the sound from the brakes might be worn brake pads. thats about all it can be. if not try and break the rotors into the pads by doing some heavy braking