PDA

View Full Version : Engine swap won't start.

turbos4audi
08-08-2010, 01:01 PM
I have an 01 outback 2.5 manual transmission that spun a rod bearing. I got a replacement engine from a 2000 legacy 2.5 with an automatic transmission. I dismantled the replacement engine, installed new head gaskets, oil pan gasket, water pump, timing belt, tensioner and idlers. I swapped over the intake manifold and wiring, crank sprocket for the timing belt and timing belt guide. I had to plug the hole on the right head from the EGR valve, my car does not have one, I also had to adapt the hose fitting that comes out of the top of the block in the back near the throttle body. It has a hose that goes up the the intake. That fitting was different. I think I took care of all the difference between the two cars. I reinstalled the engine hooked everything up, tried starting it and it just cranks, never turns over.

I did hook up the fuel lines wrong at first. I had the top one and the middle one swapped. I switched those back and still nothing. Also now my fuel gauge reads nothing and there is a full tank. Going out to check spark and timing. just want to get this up. Any thoughts?

-Chris

turbos4audi
08-08-2010, 05:44 PM
Got it running, but it runs like shit. Honestly couldn't tell you what was keeping it from starting. I checked the timing, spark, fuel and compression and all were fine. Then I tried starting it and it started. But it runs VERY rough. almost like it's not running on all cylinders. Pulled the plugs again and 2 and 4 (I think) were black with soot. The other two were fine. Engine light is on. I will try and find a OBD tester to pull the codes.

One thing I am think is that maybe the cam sprockets needed to be swapped over also. The crank sprocket was clearly different but the cam sprockets looked exactly the same. Maybe the timing marks are different on the right sprocket?

Don't know. Any insight would be great.

-Chris