PDA

View Full Version : i'm looking to buy a subaru impreza wrx sti. what is the reliability of the sti, and is maintenance expensive?

Th3On3NOnLy
02-02-2008, 01:42 PM
since it's turbocharged, i heard the sti is way more expensive to maintain. but i hear mixed reviews about subaru's reliability. how does it compare to the major japanese brands? will an oil change cost an arm and a leg? will the car be a good daily driver for more than 5 years? or should i look elsewhere for a 300hp sporty, versatile, and performance-oriented ride? any insight is appreciated! thanks!!

Unknown
02-02-2008, 10:14 PM
It really depends on what you want. There are several cars in the STi's performance range...many of them used and cheaper, but I'm assuming you're looking at new.The main things to remember with ANY high performance car is to use premium 91+ octane fuel. Also, ONLY use the highest grade synthetic oils, like Royal Purple, Redline, Eneos...etc. You'll want to change the oil on any car in that performance range every 3K miles along with the filter. As long as you follow the regular maintenence schedule to a "T" and use the best fluids and change them more frequently, you'll never have any major problems. Eventually in a turbo car you'll need to replace the turbo, but that is a long way off, and generally isn't too expensive to get one rebuilt. All in all you'll be happy with such a fast car.Some other cars that may be cheaper but in the same performance range or better are: Mitsubishi Evolution, Toyota Supra, Mazda RX7, Ford Mustang Cobra's 96+, 92+ Corvettes, 93+ Trans Ams/Camaros, BMW M3's, Audi S4 00-02, Mitsubishi 3000GT VR4's/Dodge Stealth AWD Turbo, Acura NSX...etc. There are several more, but you get the point. Good luck with your choices. Also if you plan on modifying the cars, there are several others at cheaper price points that can easily be match to match the performance potentials of the aftermentioned cars. Hope this helps!

UCANTCME9215
02-03-2008, 06:46 AM
I have a 06 WRX it's obviously not an sti but it's similar anyways.... Sti's are not hard to maintain it's just like a simple car that needs it oil change.. but unless you want to do a whole bunch of shit to it then yah maybe you might need to take extra good care for it. But yah I love my wrx it's amazing and I have no problems with it. When i bought it I made sure that I would get atleast 3 years of free oil changes =] but other than tat subaru's are really good realiable cars cuz my mom has a 2001 Subaru LL Bean Outback.. she bought it brand new and it's still in perfect condition! goodluck cuz i love my suabru's

gray
02-03-2008, 03:18 PM
Not really. Sti's are turbocharged, but doesnt really mean they are more expensive to maintain. As the first answer says it, you are gonna have to use higher octane fuel, 93 adviced for better performance!Oil change, uve got a whole bunch of them... (refer to the first answer for brand names) Now let me tell you a lil more... basically its a 2.5L engine. Called the H4 or the boxer engine because of how the pistions and the crank has been positioned. These are similar to most of the other engines subaru uses on the other cars that they make. The only addition is .5L to the engine and a Turbo (n other goodies). The turbo spools and starts to build boost at and above 3K RPMS. Now lets say you shift at 2700 or 2900, this keeps the turbo asleep and you drive the car just as any other 2.5L car. Its completely your choice. If you drive it like you stole it, i dont think any car will be a cheap repair to anything u damage. If you drive it within the limits.. speed or track it sometime, this car will have no issues. The engines are one of the best engines ever built so reliablility is no issue!Sorry for the long answer but wanted you to get a complete idea. Read more on the forums so that you have more info before you buy the car.Best of Luck!

gray
02-03-2008, 11:50 PM
STI's are a great car but it's not the reliability that I would think about it's the ride. It's a very stiff ride and the shocks feel over damped so a little bouncy for driving every day. Reliability is as good as any car out there. I have seen used oil analysis done on conventional oil at over 4000 miles and they looked good so don't listen to the Synthetic hype. Yeah it doesn't break down as easy so it's good if you use the car on the track but for regular operating temps the regular oil is fine. Not really any choices out there in it's class. I mean 300hp unmodified with AWD, 4 doors, a full trunk. only other car is the EVO but nowhere near the reliability. I'd say go for it.

tommywebb22
02-04-2008, 08:22 AM
It is very reliable. Subaru's reliability is about the same as Honda, Toyota, and Mazda. They never break down and last over 200,000 miles.The repair costs are expensive because it is the sport version of the Impreza. You must use premium gas with turbocharged cars. The insurance will be high because it is very fast. I recommend this car because it is very fun to drive and reliable.

wrx580
02-04-2008, 04:54 PM
Subaru's are very reliable as long as you take care of them. They can get extremely expensive to maintain though. I've had my RS for a little less than 2 years now, and I've spent lots and lots of dough trying to keep it in good shape. If you get one, only use synthetic oil like Royal Purple, but if you take it to a Subaru dealer be prepared to pay big bucks to get it changed. Premium gas is plenty for a street car. As far as the daily driver, I wouldn't but that's me. But, hey if you can afford an STI, then you can afford the maintenance. Good Luck!

AprilMarie
02-05-2008, 01:26 AM
Reliability is a very bias opinion. As with all car makes, there are definitely cases where people "fallen on bad luck" and bought a faulty car. Maintenance expenses depend on what you need service on. In general, the oil changes and premium gas is all you really need to keep it running smoothly. As with the Evo, there is a oil sensor that the Warranty doesn't cover, so if you're going to be doing the works be extra careful not to damage anything. If you're asking about dealer oil changes, they can run anywhere from $50-$80.Since it will be your daily driver, I would suggest the Legacy GT. I has AWD and turbo (if that's what you're looking for). It also has a lot of the benifits the STi offers, but it also offers a softer suspensions for the pot holes on your way to work.

tommywebb22
02-05-2008, 09:58 AM
All the other answers are correct, but I feel I should add this: Subarus in general are not as reliable as Honda and Toyota, two legendary automakers, but they are about equal to Mazda and Nissan.

AprilMarie
02-05-2008, 06:30 PM
not sure where you are reading reviews but Subarus (including the WRX and STi) are well engineered, extremely reliable vehicles, unless they are abused or not maintained properly. (hint: guys who say subarus have a reliability problem are typically the cause of the problem)

Zippey
02-06-2008, 03:02 AM
oil change in uk costs me £70 every 6 months which aint badi get a year out of a set of brake padsany jap turbo will need the same maintainance to keep it running sweet.buy the impreza and stop looking at your bank statements :)

lubnani97
07-23-2008, 03:38 AM
listen i have 05 sti and im on the second engine that costed $10000 and still doesnt run properly so i dont have warranty, im not scaring you but do your homework i still love sobies...

KJSTI
01-14-2009, 03:08 PM
I wouldn't buy one if I were you. I have an 06 sti and i'm not happy with it at all. I too am on my second engine and third transmission. The transmissions in these things were not built strong enough. The motor have alot of problems too. Due to the horizontaly opposed engine, the rings wear on one side alot more than the other. I guess you can't beat gravity, lol. I've had quite a few other problems with mine, Luckly for me I was still under warrenty for most of them. I don't drive it hard either. I did launch it a couple times. Thats the beauty of a subaru right? Don't do it unless you happen to have another tranny on hand. Just a couple launches and your tranny is toast.

KJSTI
01-14-2009, 03:12 PM
not sure where you are reading reviews but Subarus (including the WRX and STi) are well engineered, extremely reliable vehicles, unless they are abused or not maintained properly. (hint: guys who say subarus have a reliability problem are typically the cause of the problem)

May be, but most other cars can take the abuse and keep going. I abuse the hell out of my SR powered S14 over and over again and it takes it like a champ year after year, event after event it still runs strong.

AMR_BHR
02-19-2009, 07:02 AM
Dear members

I am also considering buying an STI next week. According the car's petrol tank manual, the car requires a 98% octane level, whereby the octane level sold in petrol stations/ gas stations in the Kingdom of Bahrain (Middle East - look it up!) is approximately between 87-88%.

What are the possible consequences?

Note: STI is not guaranteed in the Middle East by the dealer.

PLEASE ADVICE

Peppydave
02-20-2009, 12:30 PM
I have a really nice 2007 Subaru WRXSTi I am selling if you are interested. It only has 13,000 miles on it. I would be glad to send you photos if you are interested. You can email me at dave@montanachevy.com. Thanks, Dave