PDA

View Full Version : Various "light" problems after accident...

mitchelt
07-18-2010, 11:32 AM
I was hit on the right hand side and after $6800 (thank you State Farm Insurance) in bodywork my 1999 Outback is back and running fine except for some issues with lights.

Here are the problems:

- As I am driving, if I press on the brake pedal the headlights dim. This also happens if I press the window buttons. This did not happen before the accident. It does not seem to be anywhere as bad if I shut the engine off and try the same thing.

- It looks like as I am driving the headlights will flicker for half a second and I can swear I hear a slight clicking sound from under the dashboard when it happens.

- All of a sudden the lights on the gear shifter have gone out. Some of the other lights like the seat heater and a few others on the dashboard have gone out over the last few years.

I'm not a car guy, but after doing some research online it sounds like I may have an Alternator or Illumination Control problem...some sites suggest a battery problem but that does not sound right?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Mitch

New Subaru Fan
07-19-2010, 05:11 AM
Agree with the above saying.

Hey man, I jammed the front side of my car after a nice spin on icy mountain road. The car drove 20-30 km after then and then suddenly stalled. We replaced a couple of fuses, which were burnt, but after another couple km the same problem occurred and the same fuses burnt again. The mechanic suggested that some wiring was jammed during the accident which was causing a short-cut. Check all your fuses, and if some of them are burnt - you might have a short-cut caused by jamming of wiring during the accident.