PDA

View Full Version : Funky noise

lmstrs
07-06-2010, 06:45 PM
Ok, I searched the forum, but seriously, finding this particular noise has been impossible. You know how you take a thick blade of grass and stretch it tight between your thumbs, and then blow on it? Or maybe a plastic wrapper off cheap candy? That's the sound it makes. Kinda like a high-pitched kazoo. It's a whine/squeal. Air induced. It only happens at 65mph+, and of course, intermittently. It immediately goes away when I crack the window. It sounds like it's coming from the passenger side dashboard behind the air vent. Changing the A/C controls, fan speed, recirc/fresh air has no effect.

Any ideas?

It is a 2001 Legacy Wagon. 69K miles. Manual.

slm90legacy
07-07-2010, 10:32 PM
I had a very similar problem. For me it was my window, all I did was took off my door panel, and adjusted the pressure being put on the window itself. It still does it, but only if im going at least 75-80 mph and the wind is coming at me from the passengers side, which is not very often.
I would say try removing the door panel and do a little adjusting. Its not hard to do at all

lmstrs
07-08-2010, 03:37 AM
That's a great idea. I will do that. I'm not quite sure what you mean by adjust the pressure. Do you mean make it so that the window seals tighter? I'm assuming you increased the pressure? Also, do you have power windows on yours, or does that not matter?