PDA

View Full Version : Squealing on acceleration

mcclaint
06-06-2010, 06:34 PM
I've put on new belts and idler pulley, and tightened the belts as far as I dare, yet the squealing has not changed its character. It comes on only during hard acceleration above 3000 rpm and keeps squealing until I let off the accelerator. It doesn't occur upon starting the car, nor can I get it to do it when revving the engine in park. There isn't even a chirp as the ac compressor cycles on even when the engine is revved.
It sure sounds like a belt squeal but I am stumped - help!

I should note that the all wheel drive hasn't been working - bad solenoid?. Could these problems be related?
Thanks, Tim

Purple_Murloc
07-17-2010, 12:25 AM
I wouldn't think that the AWD not working would have a relation to the squeeling, but I can't be sure of that. The noise you are hearing could be your water pump. Did you try rotating it at all when you put your new belt on?

mcclaint
07-17-2010, 01:25 PM
Good thought. I can rotate the power steering, AC, and alternator, but only slowly by hand - I don't feel any roughness in the bearings. The water pump, I guess, is directly driven by the crankshaft or internal belts. I ran it in park without the 2 belts and didn't hear the squeal, but it doesn't do it in park with the belts either, only when I'm driving.
I tried cleaning the pulleys & belts with 409 - maybe it's slightly better, or at least different. Is there something better to clean those deep grooves? I guess I should also try driving with 1 belt at a time.
Thanks for your help. Tim