PDA

View Full Version : My son's 1st car

ironmike
05-25-2010, 08:47 AM
Hi everyone
Iím new to this forum and am looking for my sonís 1st car. He really likes the style of the 2.5i Impreza 06-07 but Iím leaning towards the 08. Are there any preferences as to which years are best? I have to admit I wasnít too enthused about Subaru until I started to do my research, a very impressive little car.
He would, of course, like a WRX but the turbo, insurance plus the speed bothers me with a new driver. So we plan on modifying with a body kit, wheels and tires.
I would appreciate hearing your opinions.
Thanks
Mike

SubaruOwner03
07-25-2010, 02:15 PM
Im 20 and I have a 2010 impreza 5 door 2.5i and I think its a great little car, the 2010s are 170 hp, which is more than enough in my opinion. If I could state one thing I dont like is that the engine seems to bogg down when it shifts low (auto transmission). But other than that I think an impreza 2.5i is a great car nontheless.

Sti Guy
07-29-2010, 05:50 PM
Hello, Im 23 now but when I had my suby it was when I turned 19. Yes I was young and all but I have a bunch of knowledge when it came to this car. Also ever since i have had her I have made every single payment. So an impreza is nice and all But if you are going to be moding it out just try and get your son an 06 STi. I think the 06 STi is alot better than the 08. My opinion anyways.. And try not to get a 07 cause I have a bunch of buddies with 07's and have blown the motor. Also try not to get a body kit cause many ppl make fun of you and call you a ricer because of it. I'm just trying to help you out here and worn you before it happens. Last if you have a suby try to drive your car for as long as you can and then start modding it out. But goodluck sir. :D And welcome to the suby family.

06hawkeye
08-09-2010, 03:23 AM
Im 22 and i have an 06 Impreza 2.5i They "Hawkeye" body style as it is known. Great car, 173 hp at the flywheel and somewhere like 145hp to the wheels. Makes for a great little car with plenty of power in the manual model. Its reliable and hasn't given me a problem yet although i only have about 30k on the car. Wheels and tires are a great choice but the body kit isn't worth it. It will be made fun of by most people. I would go the route i went with mine and lower it about 1.5 to 2 inches. makes for a clean car and if your concerned about the new driver and speed it also lowers the center of gravity to make for better handling. you can get drop springs pretty cheap, I see TEIN S-tech springs on eBay all the time for like $200 and that's a lot cheaper than a body kit. The other route is Coilovers to drop it but unless he plans on doing Autocross with the car it just isn't worth the money. With drop springs he will also retain ride comfort. above that a full intake and an exhaust with give the car a nice deep sound and he will have a kool car to drive around. I would suggest an intake from K&N and a stock STI exhaust. The STI exhaust will give it a nice rumble but wont be real loud until it hits higher RPM's. so when he is pulling into the garage at night he wont wake you up lol. The lowering springs, cat-back exhaust, and intake probably cost the same put together as a body kit and will get him much more respect and a lot less laughs.

apsolus
09-16-2010, 07:11 PM
i own an 08 2.5 and i hate the thing. get him an older one, they look better and are more sporty. and 08 model is plauged withsome anoying problems like mine wont drop rpm after letting go of the gas rpm just hangs for a few secs and then finally dropsmaking shifting a pain in the ass. these cars are known for there shitty paint jobs, which i can totaly agree on. my paint is already coming off, i only have 27k on it. not to mention i have read that some coolant hoses inside the passanger compartment have blown out on people prompting suby to make a recal on it. interior isnt anythng to brag about either. but on a plus side, all i really need to enjoy this car is a good set of mufflers, some drop springs and a good shifter, som subwoofers and good grill and i might just start to like this car

Ego4sho
10-02-2010, 03:01 PM
Wish any subi was my first car :)