PDA

View Full Version : Buying a Subaru Impreza 2.5 RS, any help?

Ihaveasongasongtosing
02-06-2008, 02:59 AM
Hi, after some great help asking other questions on here, I decided on going for the Subaru impreza 2.5 RS sedan instead of the WRX for my first car. Because of the high prices in insruance as I'm only 17 soon to be 18. And I'm thinking of going with an '02 or '03 with about 100,000 miles on the 2.5. Just seeing if anyone has any advice as to upgrades anywhere from exterior or interior upgrades? Or if I should consider a different year model? The upgrades I was thinking of i will list below and let me know if i should go with anything or any advice whats so ever will be much apperciated!! =]Upgrades Sti SpoilerCustom RimsUpgraded speakers and subMuffler (not too loud, but something with a nice sound and maybe added HP?)And also anyone ever heard of a juice box? I saw them on ebay and they supposely can add up to 18-35 HP and 3-5% better in gas mileage, or are they full of crap? Any advice whatsoever would be awesome, thanks! =]Sorry, whats rice mean? And how do I reply to everyone? Or is just "add details" yahoos replyOhhh okay, thanks. Awww man, but i am obsessed with that spoiler, i know its looks a little weird, but for some reason i like the STi spoiler, whats the reason you dont like it? The boxy look? or what? And what kind of spoiler would anyone suggest if not the Sti spoiler?Thanks for the info! Oh i dont mind it being long im happy for all the help i can get! But see the thing is, im not really looking for a car with TONS of power, yes to a point, but i really want everything in my car. Safety, good on gas, good looking, reliable, and still have some decent power. Yeah someday ill want a car with tons of power and then ill go with the Sti lol. But for now i think the 2.5 has it all and enough power to suit me for a while. I really cant afford getting a WRX seeing that this is my seinor year and i will be going to college very soon, so the RS has so many more cheaper options like Little better on gas, regular gas instead of turbo, cheaper insurance, and i wont get as many speeding tickets lol. So thats my take on it. But ill deff look into the older models just I thought the 2002's has all the redeisgned features and had more performance and stuff

peter_gol
02-07-2008, 07:26 AM
Sti Spoiler-riceCustom Rims-I wouldn't go over 17's but you can check out subydude.com for Rota wheels.Muffler- Just look for an axle-back exhaust. Easier install but only worth maybe 1-2 whp. boxer4racing.com or you could look for an sti take-off axleback (direct fit) nasioc.com look in the classifed (these go quick).Juice box?- Sounds like crap to me.

mangamaniaciam
02-08-2008, 11:53 AM
Rice is a term used to refer to an often useless and rather stupid modification people do to make their cars look "cool" especially if they are trying to follow the Asian car trend.I agree, the STI spoiler would be "rice". Just overdoing it and ruining the sleek profile of the car.Forget the juice box stuff. They are not good for your car. Most of the ebay versions dont even work, I hear. I would look into Short Ram intake over Cold Air Intake, but one of those two. Rims are a good idea, but nothing super shiny or thick on this car. Have a sleek gunmetal or gold rim on a Subaru, IMO. Good luck.

peter_gol
02-09-2008, 04:19 PM
If I was you I would not buy a 2.5 Rs. I have whats commonly known as the best looking scooby 2.5Rs which is a year 2000 model. I love my car, 4 wheel drive is awesome and its got pace because all the power goes down onto the road straight away and suberb handling.....HoweverI like most other RS owners become power greedy and need ways to improve horsepower on the 2.5. The best you could do power wise on the RS is 185bhp. But its simply not worth speeding loadsa cash when you can buy a wrx. I have just spent around 5k on highly modding my RS, I STILL WISH I HAD A TURBO. If you want to mod your car Change the brakes and suspension for the most fun. You need AGX adjustable struts $400 and Prodrive P1 springs $300. Then your gonna need a thicker sway bar 22mm wrx one to complete handling. Then I have WRX red brake kit front and back and stainless steal brakelines and it brakes better than any stock wrx now. For noise you need borla headers and borla cat back exhaust which will set you back around 800 dollars. Borla have the best sound (its not annoyingly load but brings out the boxer warble and sounds really nice believe me. If I was you DON"T buy an intake mine is so noisey above a certain rev that it hurts my ears. I have an SPT intake.These things add a little hp but really not as good as a WRX if I was you just buy a WRX and pay the extra insurance beleive me u WILL WANT MORE POWER! You will have to spend alot on mods if u buy an RS and also think of labor costs. But being 18 be careful and don't kill yourself. Also if you decide to get an RS the 2.5 engine is prone to headgasket problems so get one with less than 100k the engine I think will last about 140k on most RS's. If you are set on an RS buy a Pre- 2002 one there 100 times better looking than the other ones and have spoilers and all that 'ricey' stuff young kids like. Plus there a rare care only 6000 in the US! A real head turner! sorry for the long winded answer, BUY a WRX!!

trev0006
01-19-2010, 08:25 PM
I agree 100%

If I was you I would not buy a 2.5 Rs. I have whats commonly known as the best looking scooby 2.5Rs which is a year 2000 model. I love my car, 4 wheel drive is awesome and its got pace because all the power goes down onto the road straight away and suberb handling.....HoweverI like most other RS owners become power greedy and need ways to improve horsepower on the 2.5. The best you could do power wise on the RS is 185bhp. But its simply not worth speeding loadsa cash when you can buy a wrx. I have just spent around 5k on highly modding my RS, I STILL WISH I HAD A TURBO. If you want to mod your cars (http://www.dpccars.com/) Change the brakes and suspension for the most fun. You need AGX adjustable struts $400 and Prodrive P1 springs $300. Then your gonna need a thicker sway bar 22mm wrx one to complete handling. Then I have WRX red brake kit front and back and stainless steal brakelines and it brakes better than any stock wrx now. For noise you need borla headers and borla cat back exhaust which will set you back around 800 dollars. Borla have the best sound (its not annoyingly load but brings out the boxer warble and sounds really nice believe me. If I was you DON"T buy an intake mine is so noisey above a certain rev that it hurts my ears. I have an SPT intake.These things add a little hp but really not as good as a WRX if I was you just buy a WRX and pay the extra insurance beleive me u WILL WANT MORE POWER! You will have to spend alot on mods if u buy an RS and also think of labor costs. But being 18 be careful and don't kill yourself. Also if you decide to get an RS the 2.5 engine is prone to headgasket problems so get one with less than 100k the engine I think will last about 140k on most RS's. If you are set on an RS buy a Pre- 2002 one there 100 times better looking than the other ones and have spoilers and all that 'ricey' stuff young kids like tire (http://www.discountpartcenter.com/). Plus there a rare care only 6000 in the US! A real head turner! sorry for the long winded answer, BUY a WRX!!