PDA

View Full Version : High Pitched Chirp?

Brian
04-29-2010, 10:13 PM
I have a 2.5 TS (not a RS, sorry) that is chirpping or squealing loudly upon acceleration. It only lasts a half second or so, but is somewhat variable in duration. I can feel it too, as the car seems to slow a bit. If anyone knows
what this might be, let me know. Otherwise the car runs great. Oh yeah, its a non-turbo 5spd 2002. Thanks.
B

Tom T
05-05-2010, 12:48 AM
Maybe one of your belts. Alternator or AC belts? Sometimes, with 4-cyl. stick-shift cars, the air conditioner can make a noticable difference in acceleration when it's engaged. With an automatic, the torque converter dampens that sensation of power loss.

-Inspect the belts for tightness and wear.
-Does your AC blow cold?

I'm no pro but that's the first thing I would look at.

I have a 2002 TS myself only mine has an automatic. One nice thing about Boxer engines is that replacing the belts is an easy fix compared to just about anything else out there.

Brian
05-18-2010, 09:16 PM
Thanks for the reply Tom,
I am familiar with the engine slowing associated with the AC engaging and it's not that. AC is off. Its a high pitched very short-lasting chirp or squeal that varies in duration, but is also very intermittant. It hasn't been doing it lately? I'm still trying to make out a pattern as to when it is happening. Piston slap is one theory I have, does anyone know what that sounds or acts like?
Any ideas are appreciated.