PDA

View Full Version : 1996 LSi code help

vjz
03-27-2010, 12:28 PM
Hi all,

I'm posting here on behalf of my sister in law who has a 1996 Legacy LSi. Its Navy blue on gray leather; fully loaded.

It runs great but there are a few issues. The CEL is on and its a code (forgot the number) for blocked EGR passage. The previous owner installed a new EGR valve. You can see its new because its nice and shiny sticking out of the engine. Yet, the code is still present.

Additionally, the car's BRAKE light is on. Could the wire for the hand brake be shorted out or not making proper contact?

Also, the passenger side front pads are destroyed and have destroyed the rotor, so I am doing a front brake job tonight. Perhaps that would have a hand in the brake light problem. Is there a pad indicator that plays into the BRAKE light?

Thanks

benjar
04-09-2010, 08:54 PM
I had the brake light issue when my e-lever wasn't fully disengaged enough to engage the spring loaded "door ajar" type button. Previous owner might not have cleared the EGR code. Disconnect battery for 1 hour? Or maybe just disconnect, I can't remember. It should clear the code and your ECU will have to re adjust to your driving characterisics. Or just get it cleared and see if it pops back up. Not sure about pad indicators/master cylinders. How your brake fluid level?