PDA

View Full Version : 99 Legacy GT - overheating... but no leak?

anita514
10-06-2008, 11:13 AM
hello,

my 99 Legacy GT has been overheating, but we can't find any sign of a coolant leak.
the first time it happened I was ~3 hours out of town. We checked the coolant tank and it was full. we used some coolant leak sealer and put more coolant in, and were able to drive back home without any major problems.

this past weekend we went out of town again and at about 3 hrs of driving, the same thing happened. coolant levels looked ok but we added more coolant and the temperature gauge was stable and were able to drive back home.

could this be related to the head gasket? I just brought it into my Subaru garage but I want to have a better understanding of what might be the problem.

thanks
Anita

dieselrab
08-31-2009, 12:51 AM
My brother has a 99 as well and his just out of the blue started to over heat as well. couldn't find any leak, but it turned out it was a bad radiator cap. It couldn't keep adiquate pressure on the cooling system.

Scorpion8
09-01-2009, 01:03 AM
could this be related to the head gasket? I just brought it into my Subaru garage but I want to have a better understanding of what might be the problem. thanks Anita

If it was the head gasket you'd be losing coolant or would find coolant dripping from the exhaust tailpipe. More likely to be a bad thermostat that is sticking or the bad radiator cap described above.

DabRain
09-01-2009, 02:45 AM
As a test, remove the thermostat (modern ones lock closed when they fail) and put it in a jug of boiling water, it should open up, if not replace it. Otherwise replace your radiator cap, and if this still doesn't fix it the radiator needs to be cleaned out.

skiliftfix
11-22-2009, 04:24 PM
if you have the thermostat out just replace it, it's like a 10$ part, and worth your time, and the modern ones are suppose to stay open not closed, the old ones closed, and ruined engines, and with it in the open position it would actually not come up to temp correctly

Reason
12-25-2009, 04:15 AM
An air pocket could had formed in the system due to a slow leak. That's what happened to me the other day. Bleed and refill the system, the front of the car needs to be up in the air.