PDA

View Full Version : Legacy problem!!! Need help!!!

mandayaj
03-20-2010, 06:20 PM
My steering wheel won't let me turn the way I want it too. Its hard to turn and then gets loose and I end up in someone else's lane when I drive. It's pretty scary.

What's wrong with my car?

1998 Subaru Legacy GT
Automatic

benjar
04-09-2010, 09:42 PM
Check your power steering fluid. Top it of with power steering fluid or ATF-same thing. Your pump could be worn or your belt slipping. Other then that, the rack and pinion could be damaged. The universal joint connection from steering column to rack and pinion could be binding if it became loose and is backing off the shaft at an extreme angle.

dbrisky
08-12-2010, 03:53 PM
I had this problem too on my 96 Legacy, It would almost yank me into the other lane or off the road(Definitely scary). I put some lucas power steering additive in and it helped and eventually went away but I changed the rack for peace of mind. I pulled a junkyard rack myself and paid around $25 for it. Gotta love U-Pull-It yards

I never did find the problem by the way

Sti Guy
08-13-2010, 02:22 PM
When stuff like this happens dont drive it cause you could get into an accident. But yes your problem could be the rack and pinion. But first check the Power Sterring fluid. Please let us know.