PDA

View Full Version : Recently purchased '88 GL wagon. Couple quick ???'s

zenofchaos
09-14-2008, 02:40 PM
Just picked up this little gem yesterday. Only issue is that after 15 minutes of driving or so, it will creep up 1/2 an inch under the red or so. I also noticed that the secondary electric fan doesn't turn on at that point, nor does it turn on when I turn on the a/c etc. I'm assuming it's a bad relay/motor/sensor, and was just wondering where the best place to start would be. It's got 203,000 miles on it, so if someone knows what part of that system would be most likely to go out first, or a good place to start, it would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you in advance!

Keviefriend
10-01-2008, 05:47 PM
I had an 88 GL-10 Turbo years ago I just loved. We just bought a 94 Legacy, which is technically nicer, but I'd rather have another GL...

Anyway, I didn't run into that particular problem with mine... My turbo died instead :(

Seems to me though that if you have the car running, and unplug the secondary fan, and take a voltmeter and put it to the terminals, you should register voltage. If you do this and get voltage, it's most likely the fan, and not the wiring.

I'm really not an expert, I never even changed my own oil at that point in history...

Kev :)