PDA

View Full Version : Did I fry something???

UCANTCME9215
12-19-2007, 11:45 AM
I was driving home last night in a subaru wrx. There was about 6-8 inches of fresh powdery snow and the plows had not found it yet. It was very fun, but when I got into my driveway I realized that there was smoke or steam coming out of my air intake thing on my hood. I turned off the car and it looked like my turbo thing was red hot. It cooled down and seems to idle fine this morning, but I am worried and it is just weird. This has never happened before and I wonder if I should have someone look at it. I really wasn't taking the rpm too high, I was in 3rd and 4th gears the entire time.Does anyone know about this sort of thing????

QueenB
12-20-2007, 05:02 AM
HI, I am sure you know how to check your oil, do that. also check your anti-freeze in the over-flow reservoir. if those are normal take it to your mechanic. good luck

Somethingtotry
12-20-2007, 10:20 PM
It's normal. You were revving the car pretty hard sliding around in the snow and a lot of wet stuff got sprayed all over very hot parts of the engine. It happens every time I go out in the snow. When you get a chance and the car is cooled off you could spray a little water on the exhaust and turbo to clean it off but your car is fine. If something broke chances are the Check Engine light would have come on.

PETERW
12-21-2007, 03:37 PM
happens to me all the time. the snow gets kicked up into the engine compartment and so you have a lot of hot parts being cooled by the snow. so now you have one big boiling pot of water lol. yep nothing to worry about. just dont burn yourself on the steam.

Type-R
12-22-2007, 08:54 AM
you are probably fine. on cold days i get the same thing too in my WRX.keep in mind a couple of things... when you drive the car hard, let it idle for a minute or two with the engine on before turning the car off and getting out. its better for the turbo. also, when you play around in the snow, you are putting stress on the viscous limited slip center diff. if you play around in the snow 'too much' the diff will wear out and that will be expensive. i dont know how much 'too much' is, but just to be on the safe side i don't do things like donuts etc in the snow

tery_x
12-23-2007, 02:12 AM
It's just snow getting onto your engine, turbo housing, and exhaust system. I get the same thing with my car and my Jeep whenever there's fresh powder and I feel like scaring myself. (BTW, 8 inches of snow+locking 4wd+flooring it=WEEEE!)