PDA

View Full Version : Loud exhaust and check engine light after head gasket replaced

Adam05443
01-21-2010, 11:54 AM
The other day I had the head gasket replaced (as well as the water pump, thermostat some hoses etc... ) in my 2004 Subaru legacy sedan.
I drove it for about 20 miles and then the check engine light came on, before it came on I though the exhaust might be a little bit louder but now it's really noticeable and it sounds like some is leaking out right under the driver seat. Is it possible the shop didn't reconnect my exhaust right? (assuming they would have to disconnect it in the first place to do a head gasket replacement)

New Subaru Fan
01-22-2010, 04:17 PM
The other day I had the head gasket replaced (as well as the water pump, thermostat some hoses etc... ) in my 2004 Subaru legacy sedan.
I drove it for about 20 miles and then the check engine light came on, before it came on I though the exhaust might be a little bit louder but now it's really noticeable and it sounds like some is leaking out right under the driver seat. Is it possible the shop didn't reconnect my exhaust right? (assuming they would have to disconnect it in the first place to do a head gasket replacement)

The handling can be very rough while taking out the engine. Especially if you put it back. In turbo models it is even worse. One should be careful while putting back the engine. I can imagine that leakage in the exhaust duct could be caused just by mechanical force. Would be good to jack the car up and have a look at the site where you think there's a leakage. Why just you don't go back to the shop?
Let know how you resolved the problem.
Cheers

dbwhiteman1
01-23-2010, 10:00 AM
Sounds like they may have tried to re-use the exhaust mainifold gaskets or stripped the threads on the bolts or heads. It could be that or further back in the exhaust system. That said, it is probably before the O2 sensors if the Check Eng light is on. Take it back and have them fix it

Adam05443
01-23-2010, 11:28 AM
Hey guys thank you for the responses. I'm bringing it back to the shop on Tuesday I wish I could get it there sooner but it's just not going to happen.

Is it bad to keep driving it? Will it damage it more? I'm pretty much a car noobie so I have no idea.

Also, I've noticed when I'm idle at a stop light or something I can smell exhaust really strongly this leads me to believe there is most likely exhaust getting out before it is suppose to.

I'll post back after I bring it to the shop.

dbwhiteman1
01-24-2010, 06:58 AM
Carbon monoxide can kill you so keep the windows open and drive as little as possible. It may hurt the car too if the engine management system tries to compensate and you get a lean mixture

greattik
02-11-2010, 05:47 AM
Yes the leakage in the exhaust duct could be caused just by mechanical force. Would be good to jack the car up and have a look at the site where you think there's a leakage.