PDA

View Full Version : Regular Maintenance Questions

scoobaroo
01-09-2010, 03:33 PM
Hello!

I'm new to this forum and I was very happy to see an active Subaru discussion community!

My first car was a Subaru and I loved it so much that I recently purchased my second one used! It's the first car that's actually mine so I'm still learning the ropes as to what kind of TLC my Subie needs--my first car was the family clunker, a '95 Legacy wagon which ran with very little care until it was in a bad accident :( I want to treat my new baby right so that she lasts even longer (though 250,000 miles on the body and transmission is a tough record to beat!)

My father was a mechanic (which is why my first Subaru lasted so long, I'm sure!), but unfortunately the only thing I was able to learn from him was the value of taking good care of your vehicle. I've gotten 'advice' from some of the mechanics I've had do oil/tire changes who are reading off their cheat-sheet as to what a car needs at a certain mileage, but when I've inquired elsewhere I get the impression that I've misinterpreted the advice I've been given.

My baby is a 2004 Legacy sedan (35th Anniversary Edition), which I purchased in great physical condition with about 45,000 miles on it last spring. I drive about 100 highway miles a day for work, so I'm really trying to pay close attention to what she needs--she's at 64,500 miles right now! If anyone has a link to a site that has a good rundown of regular Subaru care, I'd really appreciate it. If you have some personal experience, I'll share the details for you below!

The guys at the Valvoline where I normally get my oil changed (once a month!) keep reminding me that I need a transmission flush (which I'm having done tomorrow) and that I need 'the oil changed on my wheel bearings,' since I'm over 60,000 miles. They quoted me about $600 for these two services if memory serves. I inquired at another local mechanic to get a quote for the transmission flush and the wheel work. Like I said, this is my first time owning a vehicle so I thought it'd be wise to get an idea of what these services actually cost so that I don't get 'taken for a ride.' The gentleman told me that the transmission flush runs at about $120, but getting the wheel bearings 'oiled' requires complete disassembly of the front end of my car. He didn't bother quoting me on a price because he said it's highly unlikely that I need it done as it's a service that's usually only performed on an as-needed basis (like, if there was a problem) but he would be happy to do the usual inspection to determine whether or not it was needed (a mere $20 fee).

I plan to have them do the inspection, since it's so cheap, but I'd like to be armed with more knowledge in case I get some other diagnosis. The Valvoline dude noted that since my car was AWD, all four wheels would need the oil done on them, however the other mechanic only mentioned the front end (which I think is in the case of rear-wheel cars?). Is this service worth performing at 60,000 miles if I know that the dealership who sold me the vehicle didn't spend anything extra in prepping the car for sale (I immediately had to replace the battery, headlights, tires, etc. c'est la vie). Is it some other service regarding the wheel bearings I should be looking at instead?

Thank you!

martizt
02-12-2010, 03:10 AM
Yeah your problem is with the service regarding the wheel bearings? You can just read the owenrs manual or go for google search.

dbrisky
08-12-2010, 04:03 PM
Very few wheel bearings these days need to be serviced, most are sealed for the life of the unit. However check your manual like the last guy said. There is a slight chance but I highly doubt your bearings need service.