PDA

View Full Version : Cylinder head removal

linc
01-05-2010, 12:11 AM
I've lost one clylinder, haven't determinded yet what it is, valve or head gasket, but it only has 20 psi comp. The question is, can I remove the head without pulling the motor?

Thanks
Lincoln

dbwhiteman1
01-05-2010, 08:00 AM
Yes, but it's lots of work. Pull the valve cover and observe the cams and valves first. Does the 20PSI leak down? Is there lots of blow-by? How is compression in the other 3 cylinders? These things can help diagnose before removing parts.

linc
01-05-2010, 10:21 AM
As a mechanic by trade, I recognize the work, just never worked on a Subaru before. I have get my test tools from work to do a leak down, no blow by, just dead in the right rear.

dbwhiteman1
01-06-2010, 07:47 AM
Intresting problem, Pls let me know how you make out. Good luck DW

linc
01-10-2010, 06:24 PM
Exhaust valve is done, did the leak down and the exhaust leaks...badly!:mad:

dbwhiteman1
01-10-2010, 07:55 PM
Well........ it's easier to re-do the heads than replace pistons! Somewhat good news.

linc
01-11-2010, 07:56 PM
BIG hole in the exhaust valve, I suspect from a piece carbon or something getting caught between the valve and seat, it's still there, hopefully it will come with valve grinding compound. Seat seems to be fine.

AndrewW
01-27-2010, 07:42 AM
How old is your legacy and how many miles has it done?
Mine is 2002 and only has 84000 miles.

linc
01-28-2010, 03:22 AM
The car is up and running, cut the valve seat, installed new valve, and seals.

It's a 95 with 230000 kms, great car, I had to put my 93 Audi S4 on the road while I fixed this, I'm procrastinating putting the Subi back on the road.

martizt
02-12-2010, 02:57 AM
Pull the valve cover and observe the cams and valves first. These things can help diagnose before removing the parts.Good luck.

dbrisky
08-12-2010, 04:05 PM
As a mechanic by trade, I recognize the work, just never worked on a Subaru before. I have get my test tools from work to do a leak down, no blow by, just dead in the right rear.

Does anyone know why the right rear on these motors goes out. I have heard about it happening alot on that cylinder. I recently checked my compression and that cylinder was 25psi lower than the rest

justinowell
05-12-2011, 10:40 PM
You might accused me for bumping this thread but i would like to say sorry for that. Im just in need of some sort of help and i hope you would not mind it guy. So here's the story. I've recently replaced the cylinder head gasket (http://www.carpartswholesale.com/cpw/cylinder_head.html) on my sister's subaru, and have used the haynes manual and followed everything down to a top ... as the manual says... got the last bolt on filled the fluids. Also checked everything and i havent seen any error into it. Then cranked it up.. slightly bogged down... then picked up .. high revved. I seen thatd everything is normal with a bit more noise possibly from one bolt breaking when removing the catalytic converter... major issue i have so far.. the passenger side is leaking from where the gasket was put in.. and a friend of mine said i should have used a silicone sealant before putting the gasket on... any idea of a fix or should i tear it down once more any help would be greatly appreciated on this issue.